a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Winterizing the diesel

Started by Subsailor637, October 20, 2013, 08:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subsailor637

Want to winterized my own diesel but the water intake hose connected to the thru hull fitting is rather short so I am not sure of the best way to draw antifreeze through the engine. On larger sailboats I have been able to disconnect the hose, put the end into a shallow bucket filled with antifreeze and draw the fluid into the engine.  What do my fellow Horixon owners with diesels do?  Any help would be appreciated
2013 ComPac Horizon Cat DOLPHIN
Punta Gorda FL

capt_nemo

Don't have a Horizon Cat w/Diesel so can't answer directly.

However, I do have a suggestion for future winterizations.

IF you have to take the SHORT intake hose off to get the job done, and IF there is room enough, consider working in a valve to switch from raw water intake to antifreeze hose intake for winterization.

IF there is not enough space to do so, consider CREATING SPACE by replacing the SHORT hose connection with a LONGER flexible looped hose connection, which may be able to accommodate the valve mentioned above.

During the season the valve lever should be locked (nylon wire tie) in the raw water position to avoid accidental damage to the engine.

Could make next year's winterization a piece 'o cake.

CaptRon28

Nemo's suggestion is the way to go.

Mine is similar - I spliced in a "T", with a garden hose thread on the side port, between the thru-hull and filter/strainer. This garden hose connection is normally capped. For safety reasons, the seacock on the thru-hull is always left closed unless I'm sailing or motoring the boat. But I wouldn't use a water hose to flush it though - the pressure could force water back into the engine. Use a 3 foot or so hose and a bucket or large jug with garden hose thread turned sideways to introduce whatever your putting into the cooling system - with the engine running. I usually run Salt-Away, then fresh water, then antifreeze thru the cooling system. Remembering that the engine has a single stage cooling system, with no heat exchanger - the Salt-Away will treat and/or remove any salt residue left in the block, head, etc. Most marine stores sell a 5 gallon jug which has a garden hose connection which is designed to work with this setup.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Craig

Actually, the newer HCs have a heat exchanger/coolant system. Other than that, since we don't winterize in this part of FL, I can't offer much advice.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Rahn

With my diesels on previous boats (both Yanmar),  I replaced the short intake hose with a long one and put it in a bucket of water that was kept full with a garden hose. When the engine was warmed up, I put the hose into a bucket of anti freeze and waited to see the pink fluid out of the exhaust (potable anti freeze). Worked for New York winters. Glad I have an outboard  :).

Subsailor637

Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions.  Can't believe they are calling for possible snow flurries down here in central Illinois tomorrow night!  Thought I was going to get another couple of weeks before having to put the boat to bed.  Should be about 50 on Friday so if the wind is down (so the waves are manageable) I will probably change the oil while still in the water.  Like to get it nice and warm before draining.  Then next week pull it out, power wash and flush with anti freeze.  Diesels aren't all that hard to maintain, it's just that boat manufacturers NEVER make maintenance easy! 
2013 ComPac Horizon Cat DOLPHIN
Punta Gorda FL

CaptRon28

Quote from: Craig on October 21, 2013, 09:11:21 AM
Actually, the newer HCs have a heat exchanger/coolant system.

But the one-bangers did not!!!  If the boat gets into salt water, it would be a good idea to get the salt residue out when you haul it. Maybe even more often - perhaps every other month or so if you stay in longer. Salt-Away and other chemicals like it seem to work.
Ron Marcuse

Bob23

This is a bit off topic but does Salt Away work for outboards, too? I'm not familiar with this product.
Thanks,
Bob23

CaptRon28

Quote from: Bob23 on October 22, 2013, 07:41:24 AM
does Salt Away work for outboards, too? I'm not familiar with this product.

I don't see why not. The bottle says anything that's in salt water. It also coats the surfaces with PTEF polymers which lessens any future salt damage. West Marine carries their own version - called Salt-Off. Same thing. You shouldn't need the fancy applicator either - just suck the mixture into the inboard's cooling system, or run the outboard in a pail filled with it.
Ron Marcuse