Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Port light leaks

Started by tooboat, January 29, 2013, 09:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooboat

Hi
Just bought mu second suncat complete with port light leaks. My first (2001) had hand hold leaks but not PL leaks.
Any suggestions other than "fix them" ?
Tooboat
rbla123@aol.com

ontarioSuncat

You have to figure out where the leak is from, around the plastic lens or from the install. An install leak will allow water to run down inside the head liner and drip on the bunk. Remove the outside trim ring and re-seal the port with life chalk. Hand rail screws can leak too and either drip from the screw head or allow water to run down the inside of the head liner and drip near the ports. If the lens is leaking you have to deal with the gasket.

Galnorth

I had a small drips around the port light on my suncat basically coming in where the gasket seals.  I replaced the gasket which initially didn't help but then was able to remove some washers under the dogs that hold the light closed and tighten the dog screws.  This allowed a little more compression on the gasket and has solved the problem.

If you do decide to remove the entire light let me know how it goes.  I bought replacement exterior trip for the port light but haven't installed them because the existing chrome plastic light trim wouldn't budge when I tried to remove it.

capt_nemo

tooboat,

After you find and take care of that pesky leak, consider relaxing the screw dogs on the ports when storing the boat, if at all possible. If left tightened for long periods, the rubber gaskets can take a compressed "set" and be a source of future leaks. I keep the dogs loose on Sun Cat "Frisky" for that very reason. No leaks in 38 months!

And, WELCOME to the Sun Cat Family, allbeit for the second time!

capt_nemo