News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Suggestions for groupings (to the moderators)...

Started by rwsandersii, December 03, 2012, 11:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwsandersii

I think you missed one model of Compac.  I don't know if any were sold, but for a time they were advertising a C-Cat, a 30 foot catamaran. 
Also, I'd like to suggest a "Destinations" heading.  I could ask in some of the other groups, but didn't seem to fit anywhere and I'd like suggestions from anyone, not just 27 sailors.
Thanks,
Richard
"Of Beren and Luthien" 2010 Compac 27/3
"Silmaril" 2008 Vanguard Nomad
"Thunderchild" 1990 Compac 23/3 (former owner)

Tim Gardner

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

skip1930

Constructing two C Cats is not enough production to warrant a line for 'Model Specific Forums' IMHO.

And as hinted at in Robert F. Burgess's excellent book, Handbook of Trailer Sailing, Hutchins had played around making other boats before coming up with this amazing line of Com-Pacs. No slots for these either.

Sorry. Not a moderator. Spoke out of turn. skip.

rwsandersii

Didn't know it was only 2!
But how about a spot to discuss sailing tips for certain destinations? 
Let me clarify, I'm trying to start introducing my wife to the idea of a sail from Duluth to Chicago in our 27.  I'm not sure where to start the discussion because I'd like to get input from anyone with Great Lakes experience. 
Thanks,
Richard

skip1930

"   I'm trying to start introducing my wife to the idea of a sail from Duluth to Chicago in our 27.   "

Best wait till late spring 2013.  It's a little late now. Take her to the All SailBoat Show at Navy Pier in Chicago some time around February. Wine and dine her, walk The Magnificent Mile down Michigan Ave. Buckingham Fountain, Go to the top of the John Hancock Building for a 'look~see'. I had a college girlfriend who's parents lived in the Hancock, 83rd floor, lake side. Spent a lot of time here, errrrrrr sight seeing.

Take a week, may need a few weather days. Pop into Belmount harbor or any coastal harbor [bring your wallet]. I could do this trip in my Com Pac 19. Just not as quick.

From Duluth to Sturgeon Bay, do the 'cut' to Lake Michigan, go South young sailor, go south. Hug the West side of the lake.
Actually The Great Lakes Cruising Club has great heaps of three ring notebooks full of information, although these members all have Grand Banks or similar boats.

skip.

Belmount Harbor, Chicago's North side. No mast obstructions. Unlike harbor in the top of this picture. That's for short motor boats.

Dad's boat off Belmount when I was a baby.

Salty19

Quote from: rwsandersii on December 04, 2012, 07:50:41 PM
But how about a spot to discuss sailing tips for certain destinations? 
Let me clarify, I'm trying to start introducing my wife to the idea of a sail from Duluth to Chicago in our 27.  I'm not sure where to start the discussion because I'd like to get input from anyone with Great Lakes experience. 
Thanks,
Richard

Input to make this forum a better place is appreciated. It's no problem to do this in the software, but the vast majority of members here are trailer sailors. Maybe a poll asking for votes on a new subforum would help decide (click on "post new poll" instead of "new topic" to start a poll). A cruising section might be a lonely place here, could be wrong, thus my hesitation.

if I may suggest a sister forum to this one:  http://sailfar.net/forum/
And another site out there:  http://www.cruisersforum.com

Both, while not Compac specific, would help you interact with like-minded sailors, and probably get more first hand information of areas you want to explore than here.   Many of us are on these forums..for me it's about planning a dream more than executing reality, and they are a great place to pick up on seasoned sailors tips.   
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

newt

I have found CF (cruisers forum) useful in that, with many thousands of members, someone has usually done what you are contemplating, no matter what it is.

Vipersdad

s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

rwsandersii

Quote from: skip1930 on December 04, 2012, 08:10:03 PM
"   I'm trying to start introducing my wife to the idea of a sail from Duluth to Chicago in our 27.   "

From Duluth to Sturgeon Bay, do the 'cut' to Lake Michigan, go South young sailor, go south. Hug the West side of the lake.
Actually The Great Lakes Cruising Club has great heaps of three ring notebooks full of information, although these members all have Grand Banks or similar boats.

To the moderators: Thanks for the "Journeys and Destinations" section.  I already have a huge post I need to read (about the Traverse Bay gathering). 

Skip,
What is the "Cut" to Lake Michigan?  Would this put me too far west for Mackinac Island? 

Thanks,
Richard in MO

skip1930

Asked was; " What is the "Cut" to Lake Michigan? "

It is simply the 12 or 14 miles from The Bay of Green Bay to the Coast Guard Station on Lake Michigan at Sturgeon Bay.

If one looks at the land map of Wisconsin it looks like a left hand glove with all four fingers pulled together but with the thumb of the glove spread out.
At the base of the thumb there is a water trail, [made longer and wider and deeper in the 1870's] that leads to Lake Michigan.

Since going up on the Bay of Green Bay, and up and around 'Death's Door', and back down again to the Coast Guard Station is about 270 miles, it behooves the mariner to transverse through the 'CUT'. You'll end up on the West shore of Lake Michigan about 120 or so miles North of Chicago.

That is the 'CUT'.

Lake Michigan is way up there at the top-o-pic. Six or so miles past that bridge in the distance is the Coast Guard Station.
Way down, out of frame, behind the camera, for about 6 miles is where the cut dumps into The Bay of Green Bay.

The aerial picture showing some of the winter fleet in, is of BayShip Building Company, now owned by Fincintari out of Italy. The Worlds largest ship building company in the World.

Those three 1000 foot taconite oar carriers rafted together next to the 1,200 foot graving dock represent the ten 1,000 footer built by BayShip from 1970 to 1980.
One a year for ten years.

skip.