Started by Tim Gardner, March 19, 2013, 08:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Gardner

Hey L&Gs,

I have been thinking about modifying my 19's motor mount to:

A.  be able to raise it easier.
B.  be able to raise it higher.
C.  be able to lower it further.

I would lengthen the arms by two inches, remove the springs completely, and create a new up/down position lock.  The block & tackle would be attached to the rear rail.

I ran across this photo & it got me thinking...Hmmm,   Any thoughts or P&C's?

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

brackish

I think a good idea, but couple of thoughts come to mind.  Assume you would leave the block and tackle always tensioned?  if not the additional length away from the boat would increase the moment arm inch lbs. and maybe stress the stern more.  Or reinforce to offset.  Additionally, that additional length away may affect trim by moving the mass aft.

I would model it for prop clearance to the rudder.  Put a block on the shaft at the current operating height, distance from the boat that mimics the new zone and make sure you are clear to the rudder.  I found out the hard way that mine will clear prop to rudder when fully down in the operating position, however I took a ding out of the rudder when I ran aground and popped up the rudder partway and tried to turn out of the shallows. 

I hope I've solved my back breaking lift with the sail pro which I've not had the opportunity to get wet yet.  45 lbs. lighter ought to help.