a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Oar Locks

Started by sawyer, July 22, 2005, 10:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawyer

I am waiting for UPS today, ordered oar locks and sockets from Jamestown Distributing.

Motor number one, a 3.5 Tanaka I got with the boat ran very well and moved the boat fine, but was leaky and stinky and just trashed my wood motor mount, which I will be replacing.  As I was backing into the barn the motor hit something and bent the shaft, so much for that one.

Motor number two, a 36 lb thrust Motor Guide, wired into two 127ah deep cell batteries I put right over the keel, pushed the boat great, was a little long and dragged sometimes even when I tilted it, and kind of in the way of the mainsheet, but just a little.  Two months old, and the prop fell off and went to the bottom.  New plan, oars.  (It was kind of ugly too, will put it on our alum fishing boat).

Motor number three, two oar locks, two sockets, and two ash oars.  There have been several times, yesterday included, where the wind was right on the nose and getting out of the landing was a little tough, used a canoe paddle to get into the open area, some work but not too bad. Wind was great yesterday, just before a storm, lots of gusting and heeling, great fun.  In the evening, at about 7pm, we ran out of wind, and got the paddle out again, just for a short pull, not too tough.  It should go a little easier with oars, back against the hatch and sockets mounted on the outside of the combing, and maybe a sculling socket mounted on the stern or on the motor mount, we'll see what works.  

Has anyone else used oars on a CP-16 or even larger???

I read up on this on    www.oarclub.org     I don't  necessarily agree with all of his philosophy, but he has some interesting writing on sailing and living aboard. (and the use of oars).

Doug   CP-16          "Yet Un-named"    

PaulE

I'm currently using an electric trolling motor but, i'm having problems with battery location.
I can't find batteries short enough to fit under the cockpit, on top of the keel. I currently have one in the lazerette and another up front (for the lights).
Where did you find the batteries?

I've been thinking about the oarlocks for my CP16 too. Glad to know I'm not the only one thingking this way.   :)

hsbsailor

I had some of the same questions you do when I set up my 16:

I use a 50 lb trolling motor and a smaller group 22 AGM battery mounted in the forward area of the cabin next to the chain locker.  This requires wires run to the rear to the motor, but there was a switch panel and fuse/bus block already installed in the lazerette when I bought the boat.  I was warned early on not to get too much weight in the back of the boat and that advice was correct.  She sails best when on her lines.  Also, placing a battery on the keel takes up a good area where the porta-potti could sit.

My battery will run the lights and the motor just fine and plenty powerful and long enough for the lake sailing that I do.  However, I believe that if one is on the ocean, they probably should have an outboard and a bigger battery to be prepared for all contingencies.  For instance, motoring against a really strong wind.

The AGM battery cost 99.00 at Cabella's and the charger they recommend cost 69.00.  AGM batteries need a charger with a slightly lower charging voltage then lead acid.  It sounds expensive, but the AGM is the way to go-no liquid to spill or replenish and they hold a charge much longer then the lead acid.  

If no fuse block, you would need an in-line fuse holder at one end or the other to protect the circuit.  I used 8 ga. multi-strand wire enclosed in flexible conduit and have quick disconnects on both ends to make it easy to disconnect the battery and/ or the motor when needed.

sawyer

I ended up buyinga 36# thrust MotorGuide with a 3 blade metal prop.
I have two very large 12v batteries, (actually used tele-coms from a transmitter site) AGM's at 117 amp hrs and 100# each.  They fit tightly into the area where the porta used to slide in, right over the keel and do not affect the balance at all.  They are wired directly to the stern just above the lazarette. I drilled two holes about 12" apart about 4" from the seat top centered just under the tiller handle.  I put in two bolts wired directly to the batteries and gooped them both up with 3M 5200 and leave them in all the time. I just wing nut the motor leads on when I set up to sail. The motor manufacturer does recommend the motor hooked up when charging the batteries, so I just have to unhook the motor leads and hook the charger clips to the bolts.  Fiberglass does not conduct electricity (I'm told) so I don't get any bleed-over.  I would have to have the batteries covered with water or the cockpit full over the seats to short the circuit.  This has worked well, and I have yet to get the oarlocks mounted, though I do plan that for the future. There is still plenty of room for a porta pottie, but there is hardly enough room for me.  I have my sights on a larger CP in the future, maybe I will get to see Marcus's  19 at the Midwest Rendezvous unless he has the CP16. I like the CP23 too, and then looked at the CP27.....  What is the matter with me????  I've got some kinda foot-itis...................

Doug/Merry
CP-16 II
"SISKIWIT"