a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cockpit sail control

Started by steve brown, January 13, 2006, 08:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve brown

Recently I ordered a 150% genoa kit that my son will put together for me as he does excellent small marine canvas and sail work. I would like to run my halyards and a jib down haul line back to the cockpit. I would appreciate any advice as to the type, quantity, size and location of the deck mounted hardware involved. Will I have to replace my halyards? Will I need winches or can I use the existing winches? Regarding the mainsail, has anyone installed a traveler, boom vang and jiffy reefing on a 19? I have roller reefing at present. Thank you again. Steve

mgoller

Hi Steve,
You will enjoy the genoa.  You should have genoa tracks outboard of the cockpit coaming.  If you don't, you will need a sliding block on genoa tracks.  Your current winches then will work.  Your current halyards will be fine.  I use 5/8" regatta braid for my sheets because they feel good in my hands.  1/2" would work with the load but are small to grip.
If you don't have the tracks you could probably use the fairleads for awhile.  You can't adjust the genoa for wind strength but it will work.  I sometimes move my sheets between the shrouds and use the fairleads for a close reach.  Give it a try.  (Normally the genoa sheets go outside all shrouds.)
I have no experience with boom vangs and that sort of gear.  For a small boat that is a lot of gear.  You can certainly fine tune the angle of the main that way.
When I had the new main cut at North Sails they asked what kind of foot I wanted.  I had to make a decision.  I have roller reefing now and to keep it I would have to go with the rope foot.  The advantage of the loose foot is the main's shape is a little more refined, but roller reefing wouldn't work as well.  I am not sure what jiffy reefing is.
Generally with the genoa on roller furling that gives instant power adjustment.  Depending on the day's wind I usually set the main's reef and leave it.  Reefing the main is the big power adjustment.
I usually reef the main in 20 mph cold winds especially if it is gusty.  If I get jealous for more power I let the genoa out a bit.  If it gets crazy, I storm jib the genny or pull it all the way in.
Hope that helps a little.

steve brown

Thanks for your information Marcus. I do have the Genoa tracks and cars. I think that I will proceed with the cockpit controls being that my head sails are hank-on and being able to take down the Genoa quickly will be easier. Com-Pac lists cockpit sail control hardware in their parts list so I may discuss this with them.  Jiffy reefing is discussed here in the "Sailing Your CP" topic. I will probably stay with roller furling for now. My main and jib are at Sail-Care for service and the main has the rope foot. I hesitate to get into too many upgrades at one time. The bottom line is to get out and sail. Regards, Steve:)

mgoller

Hi Steve,
I looked in sailing tips and couldn't quite see what jiffy reefing is but I realize I have it.  I can roller reef or jiffy reef.  I just didn't know that's what it was.
On the 16 I rigged the downhaul and the line runs right across the deck past the mast and to the cockpit.  On the 19 I don't think you will want to do this.  The downhaul will possibly trip you when on deck or make it difficult to raise the forward hatch.
My jib furler has a line that runs along the stanchions to a cleat mounted on the port side stanchion just outside the cockpit coaming.  It is led there by off the shelf blocks and fairleads mounted at the deck line on the stanchions.  I think this would work well for the downhaul on your boat.