a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rudder project going well

Started by MacGyver, February 20, 2013, 06:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

I was so pleased with the way this is turning out I had to snap a few pictures and share.

The profile is really close to matching my frames, and so far the project is right on track.

I hope to have the video of the entire process up in a few weeks as I am going to finish the project then make the video.
Each day I work on it as long as I can.

Mac

Side view, the yellow lines in the blue foam is where I glued foam together.

Top view roughly, showing the profile of the foil
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Ted

Super. I look forward to the video. I picked up a used rudder and will be following suit but want to see yours first!
"Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - The Water Rat

MacGyver

Worked on the rudder more today, and got quite a bit more done. Hope to finish shape it tomorrow after work.
I have been working on it when I can which isnt as much as I would have liked. Looks like to do the project if working all the time on it it could be done in a weekend if all planned out.... if anything, over a week it could be comfortably finished.

It is really looking good, most of the glass is done, I would say I am at around 75 percent if not 80 percent done.

Hopefully have the editing on the videos so far done this weekend, and I might try to post em and post a finish video soon after.
The video clips make it to be in several parts as I have a ton of footage, most of which is unusable, but I emphasize some points.

Does anyone have a cp19 rudder blade only not modified that they could weight sometime? Id like to be able to say how much the mod weighs on it....

Thanks,
Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

Smier

Any new updates?  I have toyed with idea of doing this myself many times now.  Looking good, I'm sure it will turn out great.

skip1930

Mac. The aluminium blade for a CP-19 weighs 14 lb-3 oz.

Just grabbed one out of the garage and tossed it up on the precision scale.

Just for you. skip.

MacGyver

Ted and Smier, (and anyone else interested of course!)

I have had to veer away from the rudder project some to divide my time up to the boat. I have stripped the boat down to start sanding for a full paint job.
The rudder has most of the form down, so I am hoping that a little fairing filler, then more glass and she is nearly complete.

My wife has been working long hours so I have had household duty as well, and some other obligations with groups I am involved with.
I will hopefully have something more soon!

And Skip, Thanks for that!

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

Smier

I completely understand.  Between working full time, going to school at night, and trying to raise a family...  I'll be looking for the paint job update thread!!!