a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP-16 versus "others"?

Started by gtryder2000, July 16, 2013, 02:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtryder2000

Firstly, my disclaimers: 1) Don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger  :-\ ; 2) I hope I haven't violated any terms of use of this wonderful forum  :-* , by passing along something about the "competition"... or ruffled anyone's sails (please just have this post removed, if that's the case); 3) I'm just a swabbie, I'm finding my way around these parts, and I really hope to stay around  :)

I stumbled upon this blog... follow the link below (and some of you may have even contributed to it.) I'd just like to get others' opinions on the topics mentioned. I have no opinion on the topics... only curiosity  ??? , because I'm a (thus far) proud and pleased owner of a 1980 CP-16, and it's my first sailboat, although I've had power boats for many years. I've sailed very little on others' boats, and not yet had mine in the water. I'm doing a bit of a restore, and looking forward enthusiastic to taking her out on the water (or him... as I've named my boat "Mister Breeze".) I'm not asking much of my boat, so I'm pretty sure it will fulfill all my expectations!

Here's the link to the blog, and I'd like to hear feedback from other CP-16 owners, on the topics that are mentioned. I don't much care about the other boat in that forum; my post is really in reference to the comments about the CP-16. What's your experience been?:

http://msog.org/models/m15/m15_vs_c16.cfm

Thank you!
~Gary

Salty19

Hi Gary,

It's no problem to discuss other sailboats here and post links to comparisons. In fact, they are welcome. You'll get plenty of opinions; quite a few members have owned many boats including the M15.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

NateD

I spent a couple days sailing around the Apostle Islands on my CP16, along with a M15 and a M17. My 16 had 25 year old baggy sails and a non-foil rudder. The M15 was newer, but the sails were probably still 10+ years old. The M17 was in great condition with new sails. Both boats were significantly faster than me in light air. The M15 was mildly faster in medium air. The M17 sailed circles (literally!) around the CP16 and the M15 in medium/heavy wind. It's hard to remember, but I think the 16 was a little faster than the 15 in heavy air (or maybe I was just willing to carry more sail). The 17 pointed much higher, and the 15 pointed a little better than the 16. On the day with medium wind we anchored on the windward side of an island where the fetch was open to about 40 miles of Lake Superior (expecting a 180 degree wind shift late in the day). The M15 was bobbing around so badly that he pulled anchor and sailed around to the other side of the island for the afternoon. He sailed back around in the late evening, but the wind only ended up shifting about 90 degrees and we all had a pretty bumpy night, but he seemed much worse off in the morning than the guy on the M17 or me.

My feeling was if I had new sails and foiled rudder, the 16 could probably hold its own against an average M15, but it would lose to the average M17. The added ballast on the 16 probably helps in higher winds and choppy waves compared to the 15, and it makes for better motion at anchor in a chop. CP16's, in general, are cheaper than a M15, but if you can't stand the small quarter berths on the 16, then the v-berth on the 15 might be a better option. The cockpit combing on the 16 is too low to be comfortable (at least to me, nothing to lean back on). The M17 had very high combings and the footwell was deeper as too (on my CP16 it always felt like my knees were against me chest when sitting in the cockpit). If I was going to get a boat to cruise a couple days at a time with and the relative difference in cost wasn't an issue, I would go with a M17. If I was going to day sail and speed was important, I don't think I would get any of them. If I wanted something that was relatively easy to setup for a nice afternoon on the water with the possibility to go a couple of days on the water at a relatively low price, my vote would be for a CP16 (with newer sails and a foiled rudder).

gtryder2000

Salty and Nate,

Thanks for your comments!! I hope to hear more... and maybe some of that good karma will rub off on me. I started an album for "Mister Breeze", mostly of "before" pics at this point, but I'll be adding more photos as I go along:

http://media.photobucket.com/user/CPYOA/library/com-pac%2016%20pics/Mister%20Breeze%20in%20CT%20-%20ComPac%2016?page=1

And I may start a separate thread soon, documenting the restore. I've solicited advice from "keyskid" who did an awesome job on his '79 CP-16. He really set the bar high, for those who would follow his lead!

~Gary

kickingbug1

although i have enjoyed my cp16 for 6 years, if i buy another boat it will have a centerboard in the keel much like the m17 or the com-pac eclipse (my wifes dreamboat). it can be annoying that the little 16 doesnt point all that well. mine has a new mainsail and ida rudder which do help immensely but the short keel works against it. like some have said, the weatherhelm and side slip are safety factors and for my money you couldnt find a safer boat than a cp16.  if upwind performance is a factor, than get a m17, a legacy or an eclipse even though the price will be much higher.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

skip1930

There is nothing wrong with a Montgomery 15-17-19's. It's a cute, seaworthy vessel. 'I's luv's' the lapstrate molded in hull. There are a ton of very nice sailboats. Personally I think a sailboat should look 'salty' with a pronounced shear line and a smallish, boxy dog house cabin. And a deck! wide enough to walk on.

Not really a fan of those sailing vessels that look like a plastic spaceship with greatly sloped cabin sides that fade into the fore deck ... no it has to be vertical bulkheads for me to give her a second look~see.

In looking around, the only sailboat that I truly have a problem with are the Macgregor's 26 footers.
I think they are ugly, and a wet ballast? It's more a motor boat then a sail boat.
But having said that, they are perfect for landlubbers to rent for a few days on the water, they work well for what they are, a compromise.

skip.