a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

furler project

Started by kickingbug1, February 03, 2013, 05:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

well i talked myself into another winter project. it involves making alterations to my existing "garage made" furler fitted to my 16. many of you (clr sailors) have seen my finished furler and although it works perfectly it doesnot afford one to change sails while the boat if rigged. hopefully my new plan would solve that. the existing furler uses the hanked on jibs bolt rope to fit into a groove cut in a piece of pvc pipe (1" id). inside the pvc is another smaller diameter pipe (used for water run to icemakers bought at home depot). the forestay runs though the smaller pipe. problem is that the bolt rope is way to tight to easily take the sail off the furler. i think i solved this by using flat sail slides  and  screw-on shackles from sailrite. i put a small block at the top and a cleat on the drum neck that way a halyard can be used and the sail can be removed and replaced on the water. if you want to go from a 110 to a small genny. when the weather breaks a bit im gonna rig the boat and see if it works. if it does ill take some pictures. like most of you im always thinking and inventing. sometimes (during the blue moon) a good thing happens. fairwinds to all
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Salty19

Sounds like a neat idea.

The halyard shackle needs to swivel for it to work.  When we had the homemade furler on the 16, I used the existing shackle which did swivel, but ended up ditching it in favor of fixed lines tied to the PVC and sail.

You going to put on nav lights for a CLR night sail?
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

kickingbug1

tried the thing in the driveway today and it worked perfectly and it seems that the cam cleats located near the stern cleats are the ones you use with a 135 sail. im gonna put lights on the boat this year. i think i can get a small deepcycle battery for power. i did look at battery powered ones but they look kind of bogus and were kind of pricey. i think a night sail would be a hoot and a holler and the stars should be great.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Salty19

cool..glad you got it working!    :D
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603