a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

centerboard problem

Started by sjaffess, March 17, 2013, 07:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaffess

My centerboard line snapped yesterday.  I was able to pull  my Suncat close to the beach where it is moored.  There are some docks near me with lifts, but the water level has dropped so low that I don't think I could bring the boat under the lifts.  Is my only alternative to dive down under the boat and attach a new line? The boat seems pretty heavy (1600 lbs) so I don't think I can turn it on it's side.  Any suggestions.

MacGyver

One way that I have seen it done before is to tie a line at the back of the boat on either side, lets just say port side for example,

Lead the line forward on the port side, go over the bow of the boat so she is going to run under the boat, then keeping it roughly tight, run the line to a winch or something that will help raise it the hard way.

The principle idea is that you will catch the board, then raise it back up to the boat so you can put her on its trailer again, or get her into shallow water, etc.

The start of my typing is for a swing keel...... but the idea is still there.

Sometimes on a centerboard boat you may need to make a Spanish Windlass (I am pretty sure that is the right knot) to be straight above it to raise them.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

capt_nemo

Have used McGuyver's technique with success on a 35' Island Packet (Shoal draft full keel-centerboard). Have also dived below to attach CB lines.

Once you have replaced your CB line, recommend this procedure:

Remember to release the CB line EVERY TIME you put the boat back on the trailer so that the CB is resting on the trailer and is NOT supported by the taut line rubbing on something as you vibrate down the highway. AND, be sure to raise the CB up and cleat the line EVERY TIME before you launch. Do whatever you must to ensure that this procedure is folowed religiously!

capt_nemo

skip1930

Can the boat be run sideways to the beach and then run line [or use the halyard] to pull the mast and boat sideways?

skip.

cavie

Shure it can. see Cavie 2 post up.

sjaffess

Solved the problem.  Used a comealong to pull the boat over on it's side.  There was just enough of the centerboard sticking out so I could attach a new line and I am back in business.  Thanks for all your input.

tmorgan

I was just wondering...if the centerboard pennant is free and the board is resting on the trailer...would the bouncing and vibration during long road trips negatively affect the bolt area where it attaches to the keel?

ontarioSuncat

in theory you could be correct but I think the board resting on the roller stays put and does not move with the bounce. Iit is heavy enough to not jump around with the low frequency vibrations, at least on normal roads. I suspect it moves a lot more when suspended on the line and responds to the high freqency vibrations. But now we all have something else to worry about, just when we thought we had one problem solved.

MacGyver

Just have a good rest for it to sit on , like a rubber V block or something. That way if it did bounce then the slop in the mount wouldn't cause it to come out of the V block below.
The MacGregors we get in for repairs are notorious for this issue and they have a metal plate they sit on which causes damage to the boards..........we suggest they have us mod the trailer for it and they always say maybe next time...... 5 sets of repairs later.......no work on the trailer yet.

I would use thenpolyuerethane version of the front bow V block under mine if I had one with that issue.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

ontarioSuncat

My Sun Cat trailer has the rubber roller under the board. This should take up most of the shock of a bounce.

tmorgan

This topic got me to thinking about SunShower's pennant that has not been changed for six years!  Lifted the boat out of the water yesterday and changed the pennant just in time.  It was getting pretty thin at spots around the knot that secures it to the shackle.  BTW, looking at the arrangement for tying the pennant to the centerboard, it seems that the more you can sail or trail with no tension on the pennant, the less wear the pennant will endure.  When there is tension on the pennant, it looks like it is rubbing against the shackle and the centerboard.  Thanks for getting me to think about changing my pennant!