Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Price of sails?

Started by Glenn Basore, March 02, 2013, 06:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

Hi all,

Anyone have an idea what a new jib sail would cost for an Eclipse?

My jib needs some repairs as the eyelet pulled out where the jib lines connect to the sail. The winds were about 20 knots when it tore out.

Upon closer look at my jib, it looks as though the salt water and uv has taken it toll on the stitching . The sail it self is still nice and crisp.

I don't know what the repair cost would be vs a new jib ?

Glenn

Billy

depends on where you get it from.

I paid about $300-$350 for my 110 Jib about 5 years ago. And about $400 for my 150 Genny.
Of coarse that was for a CP19 so I am guessing it myght be a little less for the fractional rig on the Eclipse.

Also depends on what you get on it, hanks, reefs, roller furling.

5 years ago, GOSH has it really been that long???  ???
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

MacGyver

Could possibly send it to SailCare and have em price out repairs

A guy at work had bought a used sail from them, it was restitched and gone through.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Lafayette Bruce

I have had good service out of Sailcare as well.
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce

brackish

CB sails in Parker, FL restitched my 6 year old 110 for $90.  The primary problem was that the UV cover was coming off the leech.  I think if the dacron is good and the sail is not stretched out, repair will come out about 20% or less than replacement.

skip1930

Might ask for a price from SailEast.
They can pop one off their computer for you.

skip.

Spartan

SailCare does nice work, worth getting a quote.  They also do new sails.  When I bought my boat previous owners had just got them back from Sailcare, nice and white with a couple of nicely done patches.   I had a chance to tour their shop in Ford City PA, and they clean/repair about 8-10,000 sails a year.  Cruisers from all over the world send their sails to them.  www.sailcare.com
Tom R.
CP-16 Spartan

Glenn Basore

Thanks all,

I will follow up and contact Sail Care.

Glenn

kickingbug1

i dont think that the jib is as critical as the main. years ago i had my main cleaned and repaired by sailcare and after a short time i bought a new sail from national. nothing like a crisp new sail. with the new main the boat sails much better and has sail slugs which make it a hell of a lot easier to raise and lower that the old bolt rope one. i thought about having my jib repaired but i will probably just buy a new one instead.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Glenn Basore

Ok,

I just drooped off my jib at a local sail shop, they are going to make the repairs , replace the ends where the sail connects to as they are badly worn from the salt water and uv. I asked them to replace the white uv strip as it is badly faded and stained, they are going to replace it with a Forest Green to match my boat color. I had a dark uv strip on my other boat, always looked good. Also they are going to inspect and repair all stitching where needed.

Total cost $175.00

Thanks for all the advice.

Glenn