a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sail covers and canvas

Started by MacGyver, June 10, 2012, 06:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiggs

I cannot tell you how refreshing it is to find someone else that values customer service, and not only values it, but realizes that it comes with a cost. If we use companies for information that helps us and then use that information to buy a product cheaper somewhere else, is in my opinion, wrong. If we do not support the companies that provide superior customer, they will not be there when we need them. Sorry, I can get up on a soap box from time to time.

Are you far enough along with your new machine to start taking on outside jobs? Be careful with that, when I was building furniture, I got so involved in building for paying customers that I did not have time to build for us. To this day the only piece I have that I built is a small desk. What a shame. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new machine.

Wiggs

ribbed_rotting_rusting

I completely agree with what you say. Even in business except for common supplies like fuel and oil filters I would always buy from companies that would answer questions and make available experts or users of their product. I blame google in part for the retail short sightedness due to its posting of prices whenever you ask about a product. I also think there is an eBay mentality at work, lowest price highest bid. I came from the west coast to mid west in 85 and auctions for equipment were a mind blower, but you soon learn the pitfalls, worn out equipment,poorly maintained, etc.I have bought excellent equipment at auctions but only after through exam of stuff I really understood, medium and heavy trucks and diesel propelled equipment. Mike

MacGyver

Wiggs,
I am just about far enough along to do outside jobs, and already have a interest.....but not sure if I will or not.

I too am afraid of the possibility of not necessarily having the time to do my own, but instead to actually enjoy myself, and the stuff we have.
I had a Graphics business once, and although it was great, with the main job (Marina Technician) I really kept busy and we didnt do anything fun, due to time issues.....
And anytime someone mentioned Vacation..... a big job came in that took its place....

I might take on a few small jobs, or jobs for people that arent worried about time frames, but not sure how that will go.

Ribbed_Rotting_Rusting, I have to agree that google has made things a bit too convenient........ and really the ad sense that it has (look up a table saw on wifes computer and she asks me why I am looking at table saws........ OH, damn you google ads!)
Ebay too is a way to get things at a low price, but I actually havent used it, my luck is horrible, they would send me junk and I would be out the money........ so I just stick to buying the best way possible for the situation, and leave Ebay to those more fortunate than I. LOL

I cant wait to build a sail, I hear that is a lot of fun  ;D

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Salty19

Macguyer,  I think once you master the machine, you'll be able to crank out projects in no time.

Those big boats at your marina are just asking for a local canvas guy, and with a few projects that machine will be paid for and then some.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Tim Gardner

Mac - one must master the art of "private browsing" to keep inquiring minds less informed. ;D  Go to help on your browser & search for private browsing.  That will help especially for buying the Admiral gifts :-X.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.