a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

rubrail cleanup

Started by fasteddie, November 03, 2012, 12:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fasteddie

whats the best product to make your rubrail look better?
CP 19  "La Bella Vita"  hull #45

Bob23

Hi Eddie:
   I'm assuming your'e talking about the black rubbery strip that goes around the entire boat. On my 1985 the rub rail was kinda dried out and I had very limited success with AmourAll. Maybe some tire black stuff would give it more shine. Aside from that, I'll let others chime in with methods they've used.
Bob23

Salty19

You could try a magic eraser and soap, then your favorite gloss product (such as 303 Aerospace protectant). I'm hesitant to use tire cleaner on it, mainly due to concerns about the caustic nature of them in contact with the gelcoat from overspray and runoff.

If your boat is old and the rail looks very discolored, it could be time for replacement. They don't last forever.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

MacGyver

Salty,

Any idea if our rubrail is the 12 dollar a foot stuff or the 3 dollar a foot stuff from hutchins?
I have been looking at my price list and saw 2 listed....

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

skip1930

Go to an automotive parts shop like AutoZone and look for a 'Black Polishing Compound'.
I for get the product's name but it's around. Wax on. Wax off. fasteddie did not indicate what model of Com-Pac.

skip.

Billy

Mac, the $12 stuff has a stainless steel strip running the length.it is really only one the new boats. I bet yours is the original less expensive kind. Mine is and it is dry rotting pretty bad too.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

MacGyver

That is what I was hoping to hear, thanks Billy!

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.