a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

jib on Catnip

Started by bfelton, November 06, 2012, 02:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bfelton

I am curious how you set up the jib on Catnip.  Thank you in advance.

Bert Felton 
Bella

capt_nemo

Bert,

When I did not have the bowsprit on "Frisky" I set the 38 sq. ft. homemade Nylon jib (Drifter) "flying" with the tack on a pennant attached to the stemhead under the quick release forestay and the head raised with a halyard on a block attached to the forestay mast hound. It was sheeted to the midship cleats I installed by means of a fairlead and cam cleat attached to a block of wood which was attached to the cleat with SS hose clamps.  You could also use jib hanks to attach it to the forestay. I used light weight slippery Nylon to make it easier to tack the jib through the very small foretriangle and to catch very light air. Jib dimensions -  Luff 11', Leech 12 1/2', and Foot 7'. Works great.

Here is the jib set "flying" and sheeted to the cleats.

Here is a close up of the sheeting arrangement.

Hope this helps and provides food for thought.

capt_nemo

Tom Ray

Very loosely was how they set the Flying Scot jib on Catnip.  :D

cavie

I was a quicky set up done on the way from the ramp to the race. I used the loops for the forward bimini straps for the blocks. The Flying Scott jib was too long and we tied it to the bow eye for the winch strap. Every time we tacked we had to set the jib onto the anchor roller. One of us had to feed the jib thru the very gap between the fore stay and the jib halyard. I had a block on top of the mast put there for the spiniker. I put thoses blocks in the rear on the braces forn the boom gallows.

bfelton

Gentlemen,
     Thank you for the information about the jib.  When I have time, I will try out an old jib from a Montgomery 15 which I can either cut down to a smaller size or reef.

Bert Felton

Tom Ray

The Quest for the Performance Sun Cat Continues! :D

cavie

I've found out where to buy spares!!!!!!!!! ;D