a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

BOARDING LADDER

Started by Bob23, October 03, 2012, 04:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Let me preface by stating that I didn't actually build this myself...but I found it by myself. Whilst cleaning out yet more of my father in laws hordings, I came across this simple but ingenius boarding ladder. This could be made super cheaply by almost anyone from big box pvc and some scrap line. Without further ado:
Folded:

In use:

Close up:

The manufacturer:

Bob23

JParody

Good morning Bob!

Thank you for another good idea!  I have already moved it to my "to do" file.  :)

Have a great day!

Sincerely, Jill

slowshoes

Bob

I had a similar ladder on an old boat of mine. What made it difficult to use is the ladder wants to go under the boat as you start to climb on the lowest rungs, making it a challenge to use. I tried hanging a couple fenders between the ladder and the hull to prevent this from happening, but I never did get it quite right. Still, it takes up no appreciable space, so it may be worth carrying for emergency use.

Bill

Bob23

Yes, Bill- I agree. It's a common problem with most temporary boarding ladders but I bet the combined great minds here at the site could solve that problem. I'll give it some thought. Although I don't need this ladder, I may give it a try to test it out under actual boat conditions.
Good morning to you, Jill: If I make successful modifications to this ladder, I'll post 'em here.
Ciao! Bob23

JParody

Salty19

That is true.  I made a similar ladder out of wood for the 16 before I put a transom mounted version on.  Even sprinkled sand on the wet varnish for extra traction.That worked really well.
But, as you guys stated, the ladder pushes itself away from you under the boat.  It was very tough to use, especially for us old folks :)

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603