Started by Eagleye, October 08, 2012, 08:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagleye

Is this anybody that we know?

"John and Brian's Eclipse beaching at Paynetown campground on Monroe Lake."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cesNQoeVsk
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

EclipseGuy

I had a feeling that if I clicked on the youtube link it would be me. Sure enough, it is!

We just finished sailing in some very heavy winds. In fact, the other guys headed back to camp shortly after attempting to sail those heavy gusts. I didn't realize they were recording me when I came in later.

We were beaching in a protected area of the lake but you can still see the wind pushing us sideways as we came in to beach Dragonfly.

- John
'Dragonfly' 2009 Com-Pac Eclipse

Eagleye

John,
The resolution of the video was low, so I couldn't see any details but I suspected that was you also. In your previous posts you mentioned Monroe Lake and a picture showed you beached on a lake.  
After seeing that photo I was going to attempt beaching the Madame in a sandy cove on the lake last Friday but I chickened out and choose to anchor for lunch.    I suppose if one goes nice and easy it should not be a problem.  It's the "unbeaching" that concerns me.
:-\

-Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

chas5131

Closely resembles a grounding, in my view.  Hope it was easy to get it off.

EclipseGuy

It wasn't in any way a grounding.

The resolution of that video is low, but you can still see in the video that the beach drops off very quickly. My keel never touched ground. In fact, I could have pulled up further onto the beach had I wanted.

The keel on the eclipse is shallow, and it starts at about the forward port light, and it is angled back a bit. I haven't had any problems beaching it. Just choose a spot where the shore drops off quickly because then typically the drop off continues in the water as well. Also, look at the difference in color in the water along the edge. In the video you can see the water color change quickly right along the edge, showing that it drops off.

Here is another picture taken on the same day as that video. In this one we found shelter in a shallow cove out of the wind. There is no quick dropoff here, and the coloring of the water shows that I would not be able to get all the way to the beach (I am anchored where the water is still darker), so I anchored off shore a little bit then I waded in the water to walk up to the beach area:

Of course these are non-tidal lakes, so there isn't a concern over tides...

- John
'Dragonfly' 2009 Com-Pac Eclipse