a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Ordering an Eclipse?

Started by caribbeanknight1, March 17, 2013, 10:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caribbeanknight1

I have not been able to find any dealer with a new eclipse in stock for me to look at.  Has anybody actually ordered an eclipse?  Do you do this from the factory or from a dealer?  How flexible is the pricing and what kind of wait time is involved.  When the boat is finished is it better/cheaper to pick it up at the factory(I live hundreds of miles from the factory) or a dealer and does anyone show you how to sail it and care for it.  I would love to hear some experiences.

wes

What part of the country do you live in? Many of us know reputable Com-Pac dealers in our respective areas and can offer you suggestions.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Eagleye

Welcome CK,

Wes has the right idea.  Let us know where you live and we could guide you to a good dealer that will be happy to answer your questions.  I don't know if Com-Pac sells factory direct but I have a suspicion that they don't.  Does anyone on the site have that answer?

Regards,
Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

caribbeanknight1

I'm close to Evansville IN, so as far as I can tell I am right in the middle of 4 different Com Pac dealers.....St Louis Sail and Paddle,  Sail Inc in Indy, Strictly Sail in Cincinnati and Rooke Sails in Memphis.  I also saw an on line ad for the European Exporter for Com Pac and based on the ad he occasional gets a new boat where the deal fell through and it looks like he can sell it here for a good price.  I'm a total newbie when it comes to sailing and have two big German Shepherds who I am sure will love sailing(yeah, I nuts) so I am looking for an open transom design.  My wife and I think we have narrowed down the search to either a Eclipse or a used Hunter 240.

EclipseGuy

Hi CK,

You are basically in the same boat I was a few years ago. I thought that the Eclipse would be a great boat for me, but I never saw one in person and they were rarely for sale anywhere near me. I went to the sailboat shows in Chicago and Annapolis but the Eclipse wasn't shown.

Eventually I had a discussion with Mr. Hutchins at the Annapolis Boat Show about ordering one. He said that they sell them through dealers, and he put me in contact with the dealer for my area. We discussed pricing and there was a discount offered if I would let the dealer use the boat in a boat show.

The odd thing is that when I got home from the boat show an Eclipse was posted for sale just an hour from my house, so I finally had the chance to look at one in person. I went and looked at it and I was impressed with the build quality and attention to detail. I ended up purchasing it.

I am in SE Michigan and I should be getting the Eclipse out soon to prep it for Spring launch. If you are ever in the area you are welcome to stop by and take a look at it.

- John
'Dragonfly' 2009 Com-Pac Eclipse