a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Seeking jib size advice from NC coastal sailors

Started by wes, May 20, 2012, 09:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wes

Hi NC sailors: My 155% genoa has been great for lake sailng (Jordan) but lately we've ventured out to Oriental and the Neuse River area and I'm way overpowered. I have to furl up quite a bit onto the CDI roller furler to survive. Thinking of having National Sail make me a smaller foresail for these trips. I Have no experience with any other foresail on the CP 19, and wondering if any of you have suggestions for this boat in these winds. Standard working jib? 110 genoa? 135? Inquiring minds want to know.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Salty19

Wes, I'm not sure what type of winds you're talking about.

I use a 110, 140 and now a 170 drifter in the little lake we use. Winds can be strong or they can be non-existent. each day brings new weather.  When conditions are challenging, say wind forecast from 15-30 knots (which means gusting to 30, sustained 15), the 110% goes up every time. It's a tad too much when the winds are gusting around 30, but in that case we furl it up a bit to reduce sail or I ease the sheets for the gust. Or just ride it out for the gust.   

Still safe at this point, assuming one reef in the main, but wouldn't be too comfortable on an all day sail in those conditions. I figure if conditions gets worse than this, I'll just motor back and go home, or just use the main (which doesn't point as well alone) so no storm sail.

I would suggest asking around a bit locally to see what other sailors are running, keeping in mind your audience.  Racers will always carry more than cruisers will.

If a guess could be made, a 110% seems like a good start.  When it's furled it will be about the size of a storm sail.   With that said, get heavier fabric for the smaller sail to extend it's life.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

wes

Salty - I'm talking about sustained winds in the 12-15 mph range, gusts around 20, maybe occasional gusts to 22 or so (all mph, not knots). The Admiral is very nervous about heeling more than 5% so I tend to reef early. I have been single reefing the main, and furling up quite a bit of the 155 genoa, maybe a third of it. This seems to work well and implies that 110 would be about right. Your comments seem to support this. I notice you have the 140 to use in between the 110 and 170. Without a third foresail I'd have to choose between the 110 and 155 when I go out, but I'm inclined to err on the small side.

Wes
Bath, North Carolina

Salty19

Wes-  Yep, I think the 110% will be good with a reefed main in those conditions.  Tightening all control lines and easing sheets will keep the admiral happy.

National made my sails too and did a fine job.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

carry-on

Wes,
You may want to contact Kieth at the Sailboat Company. He knows Compacs and certainly knows the sailing conditions in the area you mention. email: sailboat @ipass.net.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

wes

Hurray! My new 110 arrived from National Sail today. I did talk to Keith before I ordered. Also, I went with 5 oz fabric (my 155 is 4 oz) since I intend to use it in heavier air.

Now all I need is some wind. Please.

Wes
Bath, North Carolina

capt_nemo

For others facing a similar situation I have two recommendations for maximum flexibility to handle heavy air.

First, consider a second forestay (quick release, of course) that connects to the stemhead when needed aft of your roller furler. Otherwise it is stored out of the way, perhaps attached to the shrouds or the mast.

Then go to a HANKED ON 110 Lapper or 100 % Working Jib. Whichever Jib you choose to step down from the one on the roller furler, have one or two sets of  Reef Points, that's right REEF POINTS sewn in the hanked on sail. Now you are quickly able to match the appropriate headsail to the wind conditions.

Years ago, after reading an article by Lin & Larry Pardey entitled "Reef, Don't Buy", I had reef points sewn in my hanked on 110 Lapper on my Catalina 25. One day shortly thereafter with a Reef already tied in the main the wind really picked up and the choice was head for home or reduce headsail area. Checked with my First Mate (Wife) and we decided to reduce headsail area and sail! Although pounding to windward with spray reaching back to the cockpit the boat settled on her lines, the helm was much lighter, and the boat a pleasure to sail. At the end of the day we both acknowledged that it was one of the most exciting and enjoyable sails we had had to date.

Just some food for thought.

capt_nemo