a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

#23 has a name, and an update on the jib

Started by Vectordirector, September 02, 2012, 03:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vectordirector

The admiral an I have decided to name #23 "Pulling Strings".  Seems to be a lot of what one does on a sailboat.  Now we just need to find a source for the lettering and a logo.  Neither of us is much of an artist.  You guys were of immeasurable help when it came to the jib.  I relaxed the side stays and the jib pin suddenly reached the hole without a problem.  Here is the result:

Much better.  Rig seems really tight though.  There is minimal play in the side stays now and the turnbuckles look like they are maxed out length-wise. I'm thinking it is because of the boat sitting for a couple of years and the wires will stretch and the rig will loosen after being up for a while.  Actually sailing probably would help too.

I did manage to get the main up yesterday, forgot to post the pic the admiral took:  The wind was gusty so I only had it up for a few minutes so it didn't beat itself to death.  Windy again today so I haven't unfurled the jib.  Hopefully it will calm down later and I can get it out and take a look at it and get a pic. Next project is the tires.  

More later,

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Billy

The rig will loosen up once you get her in the water. The boyancy of the hull will push the sides up while the weight of the keel will pull the center of the boat down and give you some more slack. But be sure not to over tighten. The stays don't really stretch. They are just there to hold the mast up. You definitely want some slack on the leeward side when under sail. Gerry Hutchins told me, "if there isn't slack on the leeward side you got the rig too darn tight!"

Also, glad to see you got some pins in the turn buckles. Those could save your life! However, you need to put some tape around them once you are happy with how the rig is tuned. It will keep the ends from tearing your sail, or even your ankles  ;)

Greene and Salty got some nice lettering. Perhaps they could chime in on where they got theirs.

Nice boat!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Vectordirector

Good to hear that the rig will loosen in the water.  It is obviously too tight on the trailer.  I seem to remember that my Hobie was the same way now that you mention it.  The wind calmed down and I unfurled the jib. 
It is a little dirty on the bottom but looks to be in good shape.  I was surprised how easy it furled and unfurled.  Furler luff looks great, seems to have unkinked.   I have never heard of Airforce Sails before, it will be interesting to see how they perform.  Does anyone have any experience with them? 

The trailer tires were a no go, I couldn't bust the lug nuts loose.  Someone obviously put them on with an air wrench.  The guy who owns the storage barn says he can switch them out with my spares when I have him repack the bearings this week so I should be good to go there.  Next step is to load all the stuff back on the boat to make her ready for splashing. I gotta make a checklist or I know I'll forget something important, like the rudder! This time will be minimal stuff:  safety gear, cockpit cushions, cooler, gas tank, battery, masthead windex, tool kit, etc.  The boat came with a lot of other stuff which I'll add as I feel I need them:  dodger, stove, spinnaker, lazy jack kit, etc.

In retrospect I guess it wasn't a totally lost weekend, I answered a lot of questions that had been running through my head about the motor and the rigging.  After driveway sailing her this weekend I feel pretty confident about the status/operation of the motor, my ability to raise the mast singlehanded, knowing how the rigging works, what each line does, and how easy she is to convert from road to water.  I could have figured this all out in the rigging area or in the water, but a holiday weekend @ Lake Geneva is not the time to do so.  The only thing I didn't have time for was opening the bimini as I had to put the main back down due to the gusty winds.  I may do it tomorrow morning if the winds are light enough.  Then I'll lower the mast, and pack her up for the tow back to storage for the work week.  After looking at the pictures posted above, I see I need to work on my mainsail furling technique, it looks a little sloppy. 

Saturday is now the next possible day for getting her wet and the weather so far looks good.  The lake will be much less busy and I can take my time rigging/launching her.  All in all a successful weekend.  Have a great holiday everyone. 

Vectordirector

2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Bob23

Vec:
   Thanks for your posts and photos. I like "Pulling Strings" for a name. And, yes, that's what we do!
   I'd have to admit, I didn't know all that much about the "Eclipse" until I read your posts and photos. A very curious model. Looking at the specs on the Compac site, It seems that she'll move along quite nicely. She seems to have a long waterline with that plumb bow. I'll be following your future posts to hear of your shakedown cruise!
bob23

EclipseGuy

I guess I should have read all of the posts before replying to your earlier one. Sorry I was out of sync with your progress.

I am happy to hear that you were able to get the mast up and that the furler has straightened itself out!

-John
'Dragonfly' 2009 Com-Pac Eclipse

Vectordirector

Hi John, no problem at all. I appreciate any help I can get, especially from another Eclipse owner. 
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold