News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Should previously posted DIY projects be moved here?

Started by mandolinut, October 06, 2012, 01:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandolinut

There are numerous DIY projects, some years old but still new and applicable to a lot of people. Is there a way to move these to this location or " better to let sleeping dogs lie?"

MacGyver

I was thinking about that too.
I guess my thought is if it actually shows how to do something it would be cool to have it. But you are also going to have to put a lot of time into finding it all and then a admin moving it, etc.

Might end up being better to just let it lay........the time i am sure would get too involved....

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Billy

The search feature at the top of the page works pretty good. And you could always ask in the DIY forum if there is something specific you are looking for.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Salty19

Any of the admins can move posts as needed.  Spending the time to identify them is 95% of the battle.   Moving them is easy.

The test really becomes does the post give the reader instructions on how to perform the modification?  My cockpit table post doesn't really do that (didn't feel the need, it's super-basic and somewhat obvious).  For that I questoned if I should of even put it there.  Some won't need instructions, others would.

Tell you what, when I get back home from biz travel later this week I'll take a look at some older posts in the modifications section to see if they can be moved.  In the meantime, feel free to paste a link to posts you guys feel should be moved, and I'll move them.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

MacGyver

Salty19 is right though on the fact it should show (IMO also) what needs to be done to do something.

Sure, some projects are so easy that it is more of a check this simple thing out.

But like I am building a tongue extension and plan to show what to do to make it yourself, etc.
If I just show the tongue extension and had it built for me, wouldn't I technically just be showing off what is on my trailer, not really showing you how to make it?

Ideas are good, and so are processes. I suppose it would have to be up to the admins to decide what that section can be used for.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Salty19

I'm in support of being flexible  ;D

Tim's description in his sticky post in this section is a good one.

"The DIY board is reserved for threads that compile or chronicle a complete Do-It-Yourself project with extensive details on how to. "

I think the word "extensive" is key here.   Either pictures or words, or hopefully both. Simple projects don't need many details, but one harder to grasp-or perhaps require exacting methods/timing/proceedure would.

We move posts behind the scenes, albeit not very many and some are missed.  You'll notice I moved Greene's DYI rudder post here a week or two ago, and another  one:

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=5574.0

I moved that one to the Boat Modifications section-he asked how to install a rub rail which is not the spirit of this section.

I do agree with what has been said- this should be a "how to", as the original intent rather than "see the end result".   My post didn't quite follow that, but I gather just about anyone can look at the pictures and basically figure it out and change per their needs as it was extremely simple.  Now if this was a new gas locker lid with slide-out table...step by step, and of course plenty of pictures, would certainly be appreciated by all as that is much harder to grasp how to construct.   However if my post had no pictures, it would be a practically worthless post and wouldn't belong here.

Billy's post was a good example of a good DIY post about something like an extender.  Showed the end result with a really nice picture, described what had to be done, showed it in action.  Even gave some measurements-it didn't have to be a bible to be effective. Note over 600 views on that post!

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

capt_nemo

I see several problems with maintaining the DIY Section.

First, unless you establish a rather "specific" set of criteria that must be met for inclusion in the DIY Section, and enforce them, you'll get all kinds of DIY posts that may be lacking in one criterion or another. Some of them might otherwise be quite useful. Those lacking could/would of course be moved to the Boat - Hardware Modifications Section.

Second, photos (definitely worth a 1000 words) on this forum have a definite "Shelf" life unless hosted on another website. When they disappear the words remaining in the post could loose considerable meaning or worse yet, not make any sense without an accompanying set of photos.

Third, thread drift. Consider EITHER locking the DIY Post and let questions and discussion take place in the Boat - Hardware Modification Section (same subject line), OR live with it and edit out as deemed necessary.

capt_nemo