a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

scraped and sanded off Cetol, in favor of Teak Oil

Started by curtisv, August 20, 2013, 07:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curtisv

This has turned out to be a multi-year project.  Last year I built new hatch boards.  I didn't want to Cetol those, so I removed all or the teak having to do with the hatch boards and hatch cover.  I remade some of the pieces, the piece mounted to the hatch cover that is over the hatch boards and the piece under the hatch boards.  I ran the hatch board rails and the hatch cover rails through the table saw to redo the rip cuts and take off Cetol and a bit of wood the quick easy way, then ran the router with a 1/4 round bit over them.  That all got sanded and got plenty of teak oil.  I also scraped the eyebrows in place, sanded quite heavily and applied teak oil.  The eyebrows still have a mottled look due to some mildew that is apparently deep.  These are a candidate for later replacement.

This year I removed the handrails, scraped, sanded, and teak oiled those.  Sanding was done with 36, 60, 150, then 220 grit.  Here are some handrails in various stages of rework with one completely finished.

Notice the finished handrail still has some hint of orange from the Cetol.  The rails, having gone through the table saw and router didn't have that.  The newly built pieces had never seen Cetol.  The eyebrows got scraped and very heavily sanded to try to get rid of the mildew and so the orange was not as noticable last year and seems to have faded after a year.

Now I have multiple finishes, each very slightly different.  The difference may be noticeable in this photo.

The handrails are nice and smooth but the most orange.  Hopefully that will fade.  The hatch cover and hatch board teak looks all about the same in the photo.  The teak on top of the cabin is slightly different due to different sun exposure.  In the photo you can clearly see where the fixed GPS and knotlog/depth is mounted which is still Cetol.  Neither instrument works anymore so when I replace those, I'll replace the wood they are mounted on (I'm not fond of how that came out).

I'm hoping the Cetol orange faded over the years.  Anyone have experience with this?

If not, I'll have to remove the handrails again and either heavily sand them or make replacements.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

skip1930

" scraped and sanded off Cetol, in favor of Teak Oil  "

This is exactly what I want to do.
For the past two years nothing has been done to the wood on my tub and I was kind of, sort of waiting for the old Cetol to fall off.
That's not happening. Not planning on replacing any wood.

As far as the drop boards are concerned, I'm on my third set. A 'set' because I cut the board into two pieces on a 45 degree cut to shed water.
Plus each piece can be used individually. Top or bottom. And any piece can be used as a table 'tween the two settees.

This makes it so much easier to stow between the quarter birth and the bulkhead. I made this set from Cedar boards glued together with baskets
and then cut to size and sanded to shape. The weather protection is clear, rolled on poly ester epoxy over spar varnish like some cedar strip canoes.
We'll see how many years that's good for.

Perfect timing. Thanx curtisv.

skip.

curtisv

Skip,

Just be aware that when you scrape off the Cetol you'll still have some orange color to the wood, even if you sand quite heavily.  It does fade though, but it may be a few years before the orange is completely gone, if ever.

Curtis
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA

skip1930

Some orange would be a little bit O.K.
Hey, maybe the oil would help with the demise of the orange?

I've got a long road before the oil stage starts.
Some of you may recall that I Min-Waxed the bow sprit wood and it still looks O.K.

skip.

capt_nemo

Coated the virgin teak on my NEW Sun Cat with several coats of Cetol Marine Light about 44 months ago and it is still look'in good. I do keep the entire boat covered with a WHITE Polytarp when not in use. Have used Cetol for many years on several boats and love it!

capt_nemo

curtisv

Nemo,

Your brightwork looks great.  Mine, being on a mooring exposed to the sun and salt water, chipped after a few seasons, even applying a few new top coats each season.  So twice I scraped and started over.  This time I went with raw teak and oil.  I'll see how that works out.

Curtis
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA