a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tire Time

Started by EclipseGuy, June 26, 2012, 09:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy

You can use the search engine at the top of the page.

Do you need the breaks when backing down the ramp? If not, just disconnect them. That's what I do with my lights. Previously, they were inside the frame, but i was concerned they would get pinched sliding the tongue in and out. Now they are on the outside in a plastic sleeve, zip tied to the frame.

Works ok
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

EclipseGuy

Here is a quick update from the original post.

I did change out my 10 inch tires for 14 inch. The ride height of my trailer did go up a couple of inches, but boy does this trailer tow nicely now. There is no more of the 10 inch tire moan and vibration at highway speeds.

I had a trailer company change the fenders for me. I let them choose the fenders to use, and the method of mounting. Unfortunately they chose to install square shaped aluminum fenders with a rugged tread pattern. It looks like it is a trailer meant for off-road and rugged vehicles. It looks silly with a sailboat loaded on the trailer. Oh-well, at least it works.

My trailer is a Magic tilt trailer and does not use a square channel frame in the front, so it isn't as easy for me to add the trailer extension as seen in many of the other posts here. I was concerned about the trailer height effecting my ability to launch easily, so for now I bought one of those 18 inch hitch extenders and I keep it in the truck. I figured that 18 inches is better than nothing, and will most likely be all I would need to get the trailer just a little deeper in the water. I have had no problems launching with the new 14 inch tires though, so I haven't needed to use the hitch extender at all so far.

- John
'Dragonfly' 2009 Com-Pac Eclipse

Glenn Basore

John,

What a difference in towing!

I changed my 10 inch for the 14 a while back, never regretted it.

I keep wanting to make my tong extension, some day I guess.

Glenn