a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP-19 Trailer Dimensions?

Started by crbakdesign, August 04, 2005, 06:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crbakdesign

I'm about to convert a 3500 GW trailer to haul a CP-19.  Can anyone give me the nominal height difference between the bunks and the bottom of the keel and the typical spread?

My new (82) CP-19 is still awash in the marina.

Thanks

Clemens

crbakdesign

I know that the keel is 2' but given the curvature of the hull, I expect the bunks to be a bit higher.   Also, what is the normal distance from the bow ring to mid-axel?

tsaiapex

The distance between the starboard to port bunks is 50"

I have a v-shaped crossmember trailer so the bunk height measured from the trailer frame will be different for trailers with different configurations.  It is 16" high and I am gussing 4"-6" more for flat crossmember trailer.

crbakdesign

Thanks Jeff,

By the way, I very much enjoyed reading your accounts sailing the 19 in North Carolina on the Yahoo discussion group.  Whenever I can get back in touch with Kurt Russell, I'd like to put some direct links on our site to the Yahoo discussion site beyond the links page.  I know some of the visitors we have are not aware of the all great give and take going on there.  It might also be useful to place sailing accounts in the reading section of the CPYOA forum.  Most of the material here is getting rather dated.

Clemens

crbakdesign

This weekend after a month of glorious lake sailing, I brought our new Com-pac 19 home.  I had bought the boat in July and sold my Compac 16 the same week.  Unfortunately she was in a local marina, I didn't have a trailer but I wasn't about to pay slip fees all winter long.

I had traded my old 6 hp outboard for a 1986 vintage steel painted trailer.  It is rated for 3600 lbs. but the frame was fairly marginal I thought.  I ended up welding two cross sections out of 2 x 3 channel, and added two rollers down the center.   It has a single axel with 12 wheels, one which I replaced. I had no idea other than studying the pictures where the center of balance would be, how tall the bunks would have to be and where to position them for and aft.  I used galvanized pipes and 3/8" bolts to hold up the bunks until I was certain where to bolt them in.

I motored the boat slowly out of the slip and to the ramp Sunday afternoon.  We had a long bowline ready as I backed in the trailer up to the bottom of the hubcaps.  The good thing was that it wasn't raining hard and there was no wind at all.  I pulled in the boat and had my friend gradually throttle up our 4 cylinder Ford Ranger.   The boat was actually nearly even with the axel centerline, and the back end of the truck lifted a bit.  I stood on the back bumper as she gunned the truck and we rolled up the steep enbankment.  Aside from a couple of slick spots, the boat and truck climbed the hill with no problem! :)

When we got to level ground, I found that the other "good" trailer tire was nearly flat and the back of boat was supported by the bunks, with an inch clearance off the keel!  I had visions of my now tiny looking 2 x4 x 8 bunks bursting their way into the hull as the keel dropped onto the rollers.

For the next two hours we spent adjusting the bunks, airing the tire and pulling the boat forward on the trailer. (How you ask?  by backing up a hill of course!)  We lowered the mast, which came down just fine thank you. (There's some great notes about this in the file section in the Yahoo discussion group.)

By nightfall, I drove the big boat back to our driveway, where just a few months ago our Compac 16 graced the neighborhood.  Only this time the boat was not going to fit into the garage! We have the only sailboat in the neighborhood, and the kids have dubbed our house the place where Popeye the Sailormon lives. 8)   This winter she's going to get a new hull paint job, a galley and shelving, mast VHF radio antenna and a few other items to make her ready for some coastal sailing in the Spring.

steve brown

:)Jeff, I am not sure if you still need the dimensions for your trailer project but here are some from my 1982 Magic-Tilt trailer that supports my CP 19.
Bow eye to axle center: 9'-7 1/2"
Bunks, center to center: 4'-4"
Bottom of keel to top of bunk (at center support): 1'-6 3/4". Note, there are (3) 1 1/4" dia. vertical pipe supports per bunk and they are adjustable to accommodate the hull curvature.  At the aft end of each bunk there is a wedge shaped piece that measures 15" long. The front rise is 1 3/8" and the rear rise is 2 1/2".  
The bunks and this wedge are covered with an outdoor like carpet material. The bunks are wood 2x4 material and their total length is 7'-1 1/2" each.

I trust that this is the information that you desire. Glad to be of assistance. Steve, CP-19 Hull no. 93

crbakdesign

I was actually the one who needed help with the trailer. Your dimensions will be a great help. :D  I'm about to clean the keel and below the waterline, prior to painting the hull with anti-fouling paint.  As I do so, I'll be blocking up the boat and readjusting and pinning the bunks to the right height and location. Thanks again for your information.

Clemens