a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

tiller stabilizer

Started by shamblin, June 27, 2012, 02:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shamblin

1- tie a 1/4" rope across the cockpit at the level of the end of the tiller.
2-wrap/knot a long,  small diameter bungee cord around the tiller end catching the cross rope in the wrap.
3-the rope will hold the tiller at a variety of positions letting you go forward to adjust sail etc.

MKBLK

I LOVE this forum!

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

MacGyver

Do you have a pic of what that looks like? I have actually been wanting to do something like that in additional usage to the tiller handle extension I have, just in case I don't want to use it.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

shamblin

Am between tiller boats now, so no picture.  But it's just a rope tied from stancion to stancion or lifeline to lifeline or cleat to cleat pulled tight after running through a several turn bungee cord knot around the end of the tiller.

Salty19

I love mine too...5/16" line tied to 5/16" bungie tied to rings off the cleats.  Those cleats get awfully full so the offset rings come in handy.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

NateD

Here's a shot of it in use on a CP16.

mandolinut

Thanks for posting the photos. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Salty19

I received a couple of questions about why I'm using bungie cord on the tiller instead of just using line the entire length of the tiller stabilizier like the other pics show.

Easy answer..no need to unstrap the line to make steering adjustments including tacking.  The bungie has enough give to allow this.  It also let's the boat steer into the wind should a strong gust hit with no one at the helm.  The bungie also help to prevent overtacking which is easy to do with a foiled rudder as the tiller will return to a centralized location when you let go (say, to move the other side of the boat).

I just steer where I want to go, make sure the sails are trimed for the angle of attack to the wind, then adjust the line around the tiller slightly to take up slack on the windward side. It holds the line pretty well to give the pilot a little rest, allow time to use the potty, get something below, but still is quick to make adjustments and turn without touching knobs, cleats, etc like other methods.

It's not perfect but the price is right.

Anyway hope that helps.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603