a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Lake Champlain cruise....2 suncats

Started by frank, July 24, 2012, 09:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank

That all depends on how long you'll be gone, what the normal weather is for that time of year, if you plan to anchor out all the time and how easy it is to get water or ice (if ya like cold beer) along the way  ;D
Rick and I typically go for a week or more and anchor out so are prepared for the entire time away. The biggy to me is to take the minimum needed and stowing it in such a way to require the least amount of "moving 3 things to get 1"
This is my usual kit....everyone is different
*boat items:12lb plow anchor-8ft chain-150ft rode    Your anchor is one of THEE MOST IMPORTANT ITEMS!! DON'T CHEAP OUT
                     7lb danforth style-6ft chain-100ft rode
                     CHARTS!!!!!
                     hand held GPS
                     handheld VHF  (weather)
                     small battery/crank radio for tunes
                     flashlight
                     solar light (anchor light...I know...I know..not legal but we anchor in shallow)
                     life jackets
                     binoculers
                     extra lines etc and various misc items.

Camping items:
                    Butane single burner cook stove (love them)   Small BBQ
                    minimal dishs,pots/pans/glass's,utensils and a good insulated coffee mug
                    pillow/sleeping bag and 1 blanket. Blanket alone if warm-over bag if cold
                    small plastic dish pan...handy for many things

Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

frank

Clothing:
    Keep it simple...less "stuff" aboard. I take pair of jeans,3 T's and 2 nylon shorts. I wash the shorts n T's along the way with dishsoap. Heh...you're camping :o
    One heavy sweat shirt for evenings or cool days if needed and a foul weather jacket. It's amazing how warm at T with a sweat shirt and rain jacket over is on a cool windy day.   

Food....up to you and will depend on "ice...or no ice"  I've gone both ways and "no ice" is simpler.    Boxed wine and "bilge beer" ain't too bad. Take more "snacks" than ya think. (hiking and long runs under sail)

Misc rambles:  I prefer buying a case of drinking water bottles for my water. They are so easy to stow and fill in small areas.
                        Several juice boxs are great too.
                        Keep heavy items low and central when possible
                        Keep it simple. Less clutter is better. Less to move to get items is better yet.

Take pictures    Have fun!!!!!

Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men