a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bug screen - tape

Started by Citroen/Dave, August 15, 2013, 10:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroen/Dave

Just back from my fifth splash this time at the Washington Sailing Marina. I spent two nights on board with three pieces of mosquito screen attached with what I call "sticky note" tape.  [Sticky notes have "pretty good" adhesion, easily peeled off.]  I found that painters tape has that same type of "pretty good" sticky stuff that holds the screen to the companion way, and then comes off clean.  Another piece of screen placed over the aft hatch and another for the forward vent and no bugs.  Easily removed with no mess.  No need for Velcro.

Then I spent another night on the Potomac with my son on the deck with four 1/2 inch plywood panels filling the foot well, resting on two strips of wood mounted near the top of the foot well's sides.  Those four rectangles store under the bunk cushions.

New sails are wonderful; passed two 20 footers, a Flying Scott and a C20.  It wasn't a race but I did not get a wave from the C20 skipper . . .   Another day and I sailed past 2 rentals Flying Scotts; the receding tide left the Scotts centerboards in the spoils mud.  I knew my keel would pass over.

Used a boat hook jury rigged as a whisker pole and passed some more boats going home . . .

Just love my CP 16/2.
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

JBC

I hope to camp in my CP 16 III in a few weeks, but it will be in a campground on its trailer instead of on the water for this trial.  Do appreciate the tips on tacking down the bug screens.  My boat came with a small Velcro fitted screen for the deck hatch, but it doesn't really fit the square opening perfectly, leaving some gaps around the edges.  May use painter's tape to fill those.

As to speed, my boat is no slouch, especially on a beam reach...my favorite point of sail in a 16.  I don't race these days, but my boat can keep up with, or stay close behind, many classes that I know to be faster.

Funny, the CP 16 shows a PHRF of less than 108 in this forum's summary of dimensions, etc.  My old 14 O'Day Javelin was rated at 111 or so, and it could really get up and scoot, plane and out point the CP upwind easily.  Yet the 16 shows up as faster in the ratings...guess that's because they're compiled on the race course, including all legs, over numerous races.  Still, can't imagine racing one of these boats, really.

Jett