a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Getting Rid of the Scum at the Waterline

Started by gfspencer, June 11, 2012, 09:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfspencer

I keep my boat in the water.  It has lots of algae growing at the waterline.  I don't particularly want to go into the water with mask and flippers.  So what should I use to clean it?

MacGyver

We use  Fantastik at work, and if that doesnt work, we break out the Hull cleaner, but be sure to rinse well if you use hull cleaner

We do the cleaning on the hard, so if you are talking in the water, I dont have any experience with that.... I would assume same results though.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

capt_nemo

Use a stiff bristle brush attached to a long handle and the cleaning solution of your choice. Try to position yourself on a dock where you can apply good pressure against the hull/waterline. If the stains are stubborn, you may have to go to a heavy duty hull cleaner/stain remover. Whatever you use, at the earliest opportunity apply a good coat of wax where you cleaned or the stains will reappear even faster than before because a number of the "cleaners" contain oxalic acid which etches the gel coat while cleaning. I have cleaned and waxed hulls while at dockside (along side tie, or floating) - definitely doable, but not much fun. Good luck.

capt_nemo

skip1930

Wax. Lots of wax at the start of the season. Three coats. Rub on, rub off, rub on, rub off, rub on...leave it on. Don't rub off. Right over the hull, the bottom coat, the ablative coat, what ever.

I use to joke that my bottom never gets wet...looks like heck on the trailer but when it's in the water who cares? I use Mother's was 'cause it's high in carbonna [ sp ] oils.

Or you can do it like Gerry does...

skip.

MacGyver

I dont know that I personally could leave a coat of wax un touched after putting it on.......Course I am a picky bastard.......

I sadly made the mistake of not waxing the stern/transom....... everything else got 3 coats..... and to my dismay I have a nasty scum line in the oxidized transom...... :(

Oh well, I am learning to sail, the wife has a constant smile on her face, and Life is good. Scum lines can be messed with in the fall when I pull her out anyway.

:)
Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

frank

If it's really tuff...there is a product called "Slimey Grimey". Aweful stuff!!.Gloves only and don't breath it  :o....but easy to use and works extreemly well. Typically available at power boat shops.
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Salty19

Yep, get her as clean as you can then apply lots of wax.  The scum won't stick to wax. If you're motivated, use compound and polish after cleaning but before wax. She will look a lot better and will not promote dirt/scum buildup like an unwaxed, oxidized hull.

BarKeepers friend, an inexpensive oxalic acid cleaner found in groceries and home improvement stores will clean embedded scum, and is about 10-12X cheaper than "Hull Cleaner".  It's a powder you mix with water and apply the paste/liquid (depending on concentration).  I always wash the hull again (with Dawn) after using it, which is usually once a year after pulling the boat.  It also cleans stainless steel really well-you'll be amazed. As Jason said, just be sure to rinse it well (I usually wash the boat again with Dawn to wash it off and degrease.).  Wear gloves if you're going to use in on the whole boat, but for quick use under 2-3 minutes you don't need them. 
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603