Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Brenda is on a roll!

Started by Greene, July 10, 2012, 10:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greene

Hi folks.

These past two weeks I have felt like "mini Mike".  He is usually the one getting all the projects done and fixing up Wrinkles.  But I have been hard at work too (for a change).  The side berth cushions were the originals, and very ready for replacement.  So, I tore one apart to use as a pattern and to salvage the zipper.  I procrastinated and started and stopped several times, but I eventually got going and finished them up in time for our Fourth of July outing.  

Now that I had some momentum going, we thought some windows in our bimini would be nice.  Well, after we pulled the bimini inside and I started figuring where to put the windows, I noticed several worn spots that needed patching.  

I told Mike it would almost be easier to make a new one.  That got Mike thinking and he remembered the boat cover we had kept from our powerboat days.  Guess what color?!  Blue.  Looks like I'm making a new bimini!  When we pulled the original bimini off the frame, it became clear that this would not be too bad at all.  I had the previous boat cover out in the driveway and put the old bimini on top and started cutting our pieces.

At one point, I had Mike's framing square out to help pencil in the cut out for the window.  I don't usually get suntanned while sewing, but in this case, that's what happened.    Two days later, after a repeatedly wrestling the material through the sewing machine, we have a brand new bimini, with windows, ready for our trip to Door County this weekend.

'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Bob23

Very nice. Windows are a must in order to look at the mainsail shape.
I wish I could sew stuff like that. There's a reason your'e the Admiral!
bob23

brackish

Nice work Brenda!  Curious about the first picture showing the berth cushion.  What is that on the left side of the picture with the two round cuttouts?

kickingbug1

sarah and i will be submitting our order soon for a bimini top. it must however be completed by august.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Greene

Brack - if the wooden platform in the picture isn't original equipment then the original owner must have installed it.  It is a very nicely made sliding table that spans from the port to starboard berths.  It can slde fore and aft as well as be lifted out.  It has a carpet insert for use as our bottom step and a vinyl insert under the carpet if you want to use it as a serving/work surface.  It has 2 cup holders built into each side as well.  I'll take a couple pics this weekend and post them if you are interested.

Kick - sorry no orders are being accepted at this time.  Upper management has already ordered a bimini cover, genoa sacrificial replacement, sail bags, mainsail cover, tiller cover....................  Production will be tied up for the foreseeable future. 

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

sailen69

WOW!  Great job on the bimini and seat covers.  As for those parts on order...  B.O.A.T!  (Bust Out Another Thousand).  At least the wind is free and a good time on the boat is priceless.

Ivo

Hello Greene - Fantastic work!  I've been checking out all your ideas.  I hope to use many.  I too am interested in the wooden platform shown in your pic.  Does it also span the cockpit area in front of the hatch?