a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Transomeless Sailboats

Started by Gil Weiss, August 05, 2004, 01:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gil Weiss

Other than a day sail in a Hunter 17.5, I have no experience with transomeless boats. My wife and I saw the Eclipse last February at the Atlantic City Boat Show. It was very well built and really a nice boat as are all Compacs.

My question is how is a transomeless boat in a following sea, etc? I know that any water coming in should run right out, but is this type of design viable and/or comfortable in a small boat? Interestngly enough too, it seemed that getting to the outboard is easier in my CP16 that the Eclipse.

Sapoznik

Gil,

Well, in a few weeks I'll let you know.  If things work out, next week I'm picking up an Eclipse I ordered back in Feb. (7 Mo. delivery!).  I have some misgivings about the open transom also, but the appearance, size, features, and overall workmanship I saw swayed me to take the chance.  I understand that Hutchins has sold ~24 or so Eclipses which is considered a successful launch of a new model in the business/niche they're operating in.  I've heard different renditions of where the Eclipse fits into the Hutchins lineup.  Particularly, is it going to replace the 19 or not?  I don't know.  It's been awhile, but it seems I remember that the stern of the Eclipse rode fairly high above the water surface, so one isn't as exposed as it may first appear.  We'll see.  I spoke with one of the owners (can't remember which one) and he indicated that they may produce some type of insertable/removable transom in the future to allay concerns.  Frankly, it may be premature, but the option I'm looking forward to is a bimini of some type.

Gil Weiss

I wish you good luck with the Eclipse. Hutchin's boats are well made and sail great. The Eclipse will replace the 19 and fill the need in Hutches line for a small sloop. It sure is pretty. Classic lines up front and very modern in the rear. I am sure the open transom will work fine. It is becoming a popular design element in many sailboats these days - look at the Hunter line.

The cabin on the Eclipse is quite roomy. It may be a bit difficult climbing out to the fordeck, but this is a small tradeoff for the additional interior space.

There are lots of ComPacs where I sail here in Pennsylvania and the owners all seem to love their craft.

Enjoy the new boat . . .

Sapoznik

Gil,

Re. going out on the foredeck, a CDI roller jib furler comes standard with the Eclipse.  Therefore, I hope my excursions foreward are minimal. There is a very nice and well made bow pulpit on the Eclipse, by the way.

In Re. to the Eclipse replacing the 19.  Frankly, I'm a bit surprised as that seems to be something of a risk for Com-Pac.  The boats are really quite different and the 19 is still popular - or so it seems to me.  I too am concerned about the open transom but was willing to take the chance.  Others may not be quite so willing to do so.  If I ever get it launched I'll know much more and will report accordingly.

I'm right in the middle of moving to a new house - something that was completely unforeseen when I ordered the boat (on Feb. 3rd.).  I therefore find myself in the embarrasing position of having a new boat in my warehouse and no time to get it rigged and on in the water.  Very frustrating....  But I must order my priorities and get this dreadful moving experience completed or "She Who Must Be Obeyed" will be quite vexed.  

Sapoznik

Gil Weiss

Sapoznik,

I think you need to take care of business first, as in your move! OK on the roller furling. The Eclipse is a really nice sailboat combining both old and new and keeping a "sailboat" look. The cabin space is awesome!

Re the CP19, maybe the molds wore out like the CP16? I really like ComPac sailboats and you should really enjoy yours. I have not seen an Eclipse up here on the water yet. I look forward to it.

CaptK

I'll second Gils remark! I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures of the Eclipse than what I've seen so far (brochure only), as well as hearing how she sails and your impressions. :)

Isn't moving fun? (Not.) ;)
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

Bruce Woods

my dealer told me...so, it should be fine. I wonder if the bottom is flat, though...like the 19...that can make you beat like a drum sometimes...

Craig Weis

I talked to Rich Hutchins at the sailboat show last year and this year about the Eclipse and simply said, "Why Not?" to the question I asked about the transomless stern.

Secondly I asked about the 'no deck along the cabin', and Rich said that it's not necessary to go foward. Really this guy is laid back and fairly ho~hum about these boats. I think he is right when he said that they [Eclipse's] will sell just fine.

About the Com-Pac 19 molds...they are worn out and in need of repair. Too much cost involved in repair and sales dropped off. So came a new sheet of paper on which is drawn the Eclipse.
skip...

Pearler

Skip, I'm sorry to hear about the molds for the 19. The Eclipse is just too different to be a replacement. I think there is room for both boats in the ComPac fleet. As far as the deck walking goes, how you going to anchor and dock the boat without going forward? I've been up on the deck on my Eclipse quite a bit and don't see it being a problem. In fact it may be a bit easier because your closer to the boom and mast, this gives you something to hold on to. I guess I'll find out when I actually get the boat on the water.

Terry

multimedia_smith

The open transom.... I think is both a practical issue as well as a "perception" thing.  We keep our "boom box" under the rear fold down seat... and the kids are always dropping something on the cockpit floor.
The idea that we are somewhat "contained" IN the boat is somewhat of a comfort.  We don't have the feeling that things could get the "deep six" quite as easily.  Generally we sit forward as possible, but there have been those times when I like to lean on the back rail and put my feet up.
Love the classic Com Pac design... "if it ain't broke...."
I'm sure you'll enjoy the Eclipse and I wouldn't worry at all about "boarding waves from a following sea"... they really know what they're doing... it just "seems" like that could happen... but then again... perception is not always reality.
Best Regards
Dale

Craig Weis

No transom may be no big deal. I have a feeling from looking at the sales blurb on the Eclispe that the stern will lift to a following sea and the wave simply slide under the boat.  :D Surfing anybody? Like a Hunter.

AT

Actually, we sailed the Eclipse yesterday in 5 foot folloing seas with no problem at all.

The water does enter the cockpit when the boat is over-healed (20 degrees or more), which one may consider a warning sign that it is time to reef, and when backing up with a motor when setting an anchor. In the later case a nylon bag with snorkeling gear placed right in front of the motor efectively blockes the water from entering the cockpit.

chas5131

The open transom is the reason I will buy and Eclipse if I move up from the 16.  It is a safety factor.  Have been in a 40 footer with waves coming over the boat.  Love the open transom for letting the water out.  Where I currently sail knockdowns are common.
I like the fact that the Eclipse has a way to let the water out.
Swimming access is also enhanced.
Those uncomfortable with the open transom might consider a net made for the back of pickup trucks across the opening.

kickingbug1

like chas if i had the money to move up from my 16 to an eclipse i would in a minute. it looks easy to rig and launch and the open transom makes getting in and out a breeze. with the centerboard she should also point a little higher than a 19. and damned if it isnt the prettiest com-pac ever.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Glenn Basore

I happen to like an open transom design.

For me its the gracefull lines of the transom that adds to the over all look of the boat setting it aside from other boats of her size.

Also, no water stays or collects in the cockpit area and its easy to clean.

Yea, you might have to watch what you have laying in the cockpit area so it doesn't slide out the back from time to time like your beer can or water bottle!

Glenn B.