a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Starboard Storage Module

Started by capt_nemo, June 28, 2012, 10:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt_nemo

I needed an additional storage module with readily accessible compartments which would complement the Step/Two Drawer Module previously added under the bridge deck. This Module, like all my other mods was designed to be installed WITHOUT DRILLING A SINGLE HOLE IN THE BOAT OR MAKING ANY ALTERATIONS TO THE STRUCTURE OF THE BOAT. When no longer useful, simply remove it and return the boat to "Factory" stock condition.

After working through several design alternatives, the one I chose to fabricate is shown below.

This "BEFORE" photo shows the cabin bulkhead and under bridge deck area immediately to starboard of the previously installed Step/Two Drawer Module.

The "AFTER" photo of the Storage Module installed in place.

Photo showing the bunk cushion back in place fitting under the Storage Module.

All shelf compartments opened.

And finally, a side view showing detail of the fiddled shelf unit for "small stuff" readily accessible from down below and the cockpit.

Starting to look like a nicely appointed "Pocket Cruiser".

capt_nemo

Saluki86

Can you explain (again...sorry) how you fastened the cabinet to the boat if you didnt drill any holes?  Apologize for the further explanation.

Gorgeous!

capt_nemo

Saluki86,

There are two side tongues that slide VERY TIGHTLY under the bridge deck liner. This immobilizes the unit in the vertical plane and also somewhat athwartships. Athwartships movement is further prevented by a tight fit against the outboard cabin liner and a tight fit inboard at the top by forcing the back edge of the unit inside the edge of the companionway interior molding. Aft movement is prevented buy the unit butting up against the sloped inside cabin liner. Once forced up tight against the liner, a board is forced down behind a teak fiddle for the bunk cushion (already there) and in front of two wooden cleats screwed into the inside of the side tongues flush at the bottom edge which prevents any forward movement. Although time consuming to fabricate such a tight secure fit, the Unit is quite rigid mounted this way and can be removed when no longer desired to return the boat to its original configuration with NO HOLES DRILLED AND NO ALTERATIONS TO THE BOAT'S STRUCTURE.

Hope this helps.

capt_nemo

Tom Ray

Don,

Your step and storage module are very nice. I'd slap a couple of screws in there without remorse. Any future owner who has the poor taste to remove them deserves a couple of holes. ;)

ChumleysRest

Thanks for sharing.  Great design and beautiful craftmanship.