a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Empty Weight of the Performance Trailer

Started by ChumleysRest, July 09, 2012, 10:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChumleysRest

I became the proud owner of a 2002 Sun Cat in March.  There is no requirement to register the trailer in my home state of SC (for combined weights under 2500 lbs.), unless I want to trailer it out of state.  I am attempting to register the trailer so that I can take her out of state, but much of the info on the trailer's ID plate has been lost to corrosion.  Can anyone help me with the trailer's empty weight?  I think it is Performance model PTVH16. Thanks.

cavie

Road King makes them now. 475 lbs would be a good guess.

skip1930

It's about 400 lb for a Com Pac 19 Performance trailer with extended tongue and no spare, just a bare bones rig.

skip.

Salty19

My CP19 performance trailer, with a spare tire and mount, weighed 660lbs on the certified CAT scale.

I actually had to get it weighted at a certified scale to title it here in Ohio. Needed the actual weight slip presented to the registrar.
They wouldn't accept "Oh it weighs about..." as official.  Chumley-might want to see what your state accepts as the official method of weighing.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Tom Ray

The old Performance trailers have a heavier frame than the new ones, which I think are actually Magic Tilt now.

I'd guess closer to the 600 number.

By the way, if that's right and the factory is just a bit off about how much the empty boat weighs and you have a battery, engine, gear, spare tire... seems like you might top 2,500 lbs on a heavy day.

Now I'm curious. Maybe I'll swing by the truck scales next time I have ours out on the road.

ChumleysRest

Thanks for the replies and info. 

I went to our DMV with my completed application and my bill of sale for the trailer.  Our "friendly" DMV refused to help me without a Title for the trailer. 

I'm in SC and I bought the boat and trailer from the prior owner in MA.  He didn't have a title for the trailer.  So now I'm trying to chase down a Trailer Title or Certificate of Origin to please the SC DMV...

cavie

Good luck. Florida doesn't title trailers either. Just registration.  Apply for a home made title.

NateD

Quote from: cavie on July 11, 2012, 10:32:36 AM
Good luck. Florida doesn't title trailers either. Just registration.  Apply for a home made title.

Like cavie said, it might be easier to register it as a homebuilt trailer, which is what I had to do with my CP23 trailer that I bought from a person in SC (oddly enough). The MN DMV just wanted the dimensions of the trailer, number of axles, GVW, and size of the tires to issue a homebuilt title.