a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tongue Extension

Started by Billy, June 28, 2012, 09:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy

I just had a trailer fabricator cut off my old, welded on coupler and add a telescoping tongue extension.
My trailer frame is a 3" OD galvanized tube. The extension was to be 2.5" OD galvanized. Bolt on a new coupler, drill a few holes, and add a pin.....done. cost about $100-$150.

the fabricator added the ring around the old tongue b/c he said the metal was too thin and would rip open as the trailer bounced up and down the road. As I looked at my hitch, it has the same ring around it.

I told him to make the extension 8' b/c that is as big as would fit into the old frame until it hit a cross bar (you can see the bar about two feet behind my spare tire under water). I think he made it a little big b/c it sticks out about a foot further than previously. No big deal. With an extension I figure the longer the better. After all, it's only used for about 30 feet and then back to normal.

as you can see, at 8' long it barely keeps my rear tires out of the water. I wouldn't go any shorter.

Luckily being in FL, just about everywhere is flat. So when I am ready to launch I disconnect the chains, and raise the tongue jack just enough to take the load off the ball. I don't disconnect the coupler from the ball. That is the beauty of this design. No need to re align the hitch and tongue for a second coupler (like many extensions) and no spare parts to store (or have stolen) while out on the boat. With the tongue jack holding the tongue weight, I can simply push the boat back until the holes line up. Put the pin back in and done! Takes less than 2 minutes. If you lived somewhere hilly, I would recommend chalking the tires and just pulling forward in your vehicle.

Now I am thinking about getting larger wheels for towing since the extension allows me to get the trailer deeper into the salt water w/out getting my truck wet.

I hope you guys find this useful. Just make sure to use GALVANIZED steel.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

shamblin

Billy

after 69 views glad to know someone liked it!

You're welcome.

NAY

Billy.......what method do you use to keep the tongue from coming completely out of the trailer when you extend it? I use an extension that slides into the receiver on my truck. I don't remove it to tow but slide it in until it's just short of the truck rear end then pin it. I have a cross bolt through the end to stop it when I extend it. Pull the pin, drive forward or push the trailer back until it stops then pin if need to. KISS method but I,m limited to about 3 1/2' and would like to have a longer extension if needed.

NAY             

Tadpole

Billy,

A lack of comments does not necessarily equate to a lack of interest...or appreciation.  It is a very clever solution to a common trailer sailor problem.  I've built a couple of tongue extenders, but was never smart enough to design one like yours.  You solved two of the most annoying problems: needing to unhitch to put on the extension, and where to store the thing.  It is also very easy to adjust it's working length to fit the ramp.  Great concept.

Looking forward to building one for my C-16... when I get it.

Thanks,

Tadpole

Billy

Quote from: NAY on July 03, 2012, 03:34:33 PM

Billy.......what method do you use to keep the tongue from coming completely out of the trailer when you extend it? I use an extension that slides into the receiver on my truck. I don't remove it to tow but slide it in until it's just short of the truck rear end then pin it. I have a cross bolt through the end to stop it when I extend it. Pull the pin, drive forward or push the trailer back until it stops then pin if need to. KISS method but I,m limited to about 3 1/2' and would like to have a longer extension if needed.

NAY             

I use the same pin that keeps it in when it is inside the frame. The inside extension (2.5") piece has two holes. One at the front and one at the back. The trailer tounge has one hole. Does that make since?

I'm going out tomorrow, hopefully I can remember to take some more pics and maybe even a video.

Cevin c Taylor

Wow - that looks great!  I never thought of just having the extension slip inside.  With a 16', I have yet to need an extension, but if I do, this will be my model.