- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

sails

Started by santij44, August 20, 2012, 11:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

santij44

what is the best fluid to clean my picnis cat sails they are white

Salty19

Oxy powered cleaner such as laundry soap or spray cleaner works well on sails.  I used to wash my sails--old soft sails--in a large trash container and mixed with a broom handle.   But with new sails, they are way to stiff to do that so you must lay it out in the grass and scrub it by hand.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

santij44

Quote from: Salty19 on August 20, 2012, 11:38:50 AM
Oxy powered cleaner such as laundry soap or spray cleaner works well on sails.  I used to wash my sails--old soft sails--in a large trash container and mixed with a broom handle.   But with new sails, they are way to stiff to do that so you must lay it out in the grass and scrub it by hand.
Thanks for the info I'll try.................Julio

skip1930

The U.S. Navy washes both sides of their sails laid out on the lawn at the academy with warm water and Tide powdered [now liquid] detergent and a soft nylon scrub brush.

These sails for the small boat training class are rinsed off with a hose on the grass to semi-dry and when they look like they won't drip anymore are sent up the mast to finish drying. Never any bleach as this attacks the sail cloth.

Dad told me that and that is how we washed our schooner and Star Boat, Penquin and Rhodes 19 sails when I was a kid.

skip.