a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Swim Ladder ideas

Started by MacGyver, July 01, 2012, 10:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty19

Love the ladder mods, Greene!!!   That deserves to put in the DIY section under a new post :)

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Greene

I think we'll have Brackish do that one.  He has that "purdy" woodworking shop with all the neat toys to really make them nice.  Maybe Brackish could router in the Com-Pac logo on top of each step to really make them cool.  I'll PM my shipping address Brackish, so when you are done with my set you can UPS them right out.

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

brackish

Quote from: Greene on July 10, 2012, 08:57:26 AM
I think we'll have Brackish do that one.  He has that "purdy" woodworking shop with all the neat toys to really make them nice.  Maybe Brackish could router in the Com-Pac logo on top of each step to really make them cool.  I'll PM my shipping address Brackish, so when you are done with my set you can UPS them right out.

Mike
LOL, hey I haven't upgraded the router to CNC yet so you can make us a nice polycarbonate template and we'll turn them out by the hundreds.  Drop that template off on your next trip to Orange Beach. :)

MacGyver

I finally got a chance to make my ladder steps, I ended up finding in my shop a large supply of HDPE plastic, some stuff I used to make some table saw guides and other doo dads in the shop pre-lightning shock.

I had also run across some jigs and stuff from when I made these custom 50 cal Bullet pens, and 308/30-06 pens.
One of the jigs I used to press the components together so I knew this stuff was tough.

I used all wood working tools, regular stuff. They turned out really well, And I am debating on whether to add some grooves for traction or not......

Hopefully I will have pics up soon. They turned out well considering the bottom wrung is a real pain in the a$$

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Salty19

IMO, Yes, definitely add the traction grooves/knurling.  The difference between a good and great project are details like this.

Pics would be awesome. 

I want to make some out of IPE one of these days.  I'll paint the traction strips white to match the bowsprit. Then make new stern rail seats and gas tank cover/organizer with the same inlaid white strip. Same on the hatch door.

Boy, there are always more projects to be done than time and money allows, huh?  :)
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603