a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP 16 Bug Screen

Started by MHardy, May 31, 2012, 07:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MHardy

Does anyone have a good solution for a companionway bug screen for a CP 16? I'm more interested in a weighted flexible type versus a rigid frame type.
Seagull II, 1987 CP 27
Seagull, 1983 CP 16
Washington, North Carolina

Salty19

I'm making one now for my 19. Just waiting for the no-see-um screen to arrive to get into it more.

I traced the top of the removable hatch board and made a 3 1/2" upper header that sits on the vertical teak hatch sliders. It's kinda big, I may yet cut it down to 2 1/2".  Basically I'll make a 2-3" sunbrella border, of course matching all the other canvas,  following the door angles with screen in the middle and attached (glue or screws or ??) to the wood upper header for support. Wood batten on the bottom to keep shape sewed in. Maybe removable battens for the sides-haven't decided that yet either. I also haven't decided if I should paint this wood (birch ply) or cetol and varnish. I'll probably paint it a nice maintenance free off-white, mainly because I already have the paint and don't want more wood to maintain.  This screen should then roll up easily and stow in a bag which I haven't made yet either!!  OK, there are a lot of things I haven't decided on, but once the screen gets here I'm going to town.

My old 16 came with a screen cut to fit once inside with velcro. But it was kinda a pain to put on and take off all the time so the new design should be quick to put up and take off.

Then will make another sunbrella border/screen middle piece that will velcro to the upper sliding hatch opening on the inside, cut to fit, and attach to the wood board from the main screen making a "seal" again with velcro. That will let more air in assuming no rain.  Since mesh is only about $3/yard, and I already had the sunbrella and wood, this is a real cheap project.

I'm also making another one to velcro around the forward opening Bomar hatch for full venting at anchor, and yet another solid piece of sunbrella attached to the same velcro to block the sun while away from the boat.

Total cost for all of these is probably $30--$8 of it is the cost of velcro.

As you can see I'm planning on doing a lot of overnights this year!

Canvas projects can be fun and useful..also fairly inexpensive to boot.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

MHardy

I ended up borrowing a friend's screen from his Hunter for my first overnight on the boat. It was oversized, but worked just fine. It's one of these:

http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?50011/Bug%20Screens%20Companionway
Seagull II, 1987 CP 27
Seagull, 1983 CP 16
Washington, North Carolina

shamblin

I'm wondering about using plastic screening sewed with a sewing machine to velcro strips?