a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Winches on Eclipses?

Started by Eagleye, May 15, 2012, 05:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

luke, a lot of people would think you are joking. they of course havent met me. i just cant work with gloves unless its 10 degrees outside. you see those guys working on cars on the speed channel. they always have those red and black gloves on. i should have had them last week though when i got a hell of a cut from a machined surface on the flywheel of the 52. but my grandpa always said "you cant fix it unless you bleed on it. good thing that truck is red. see ya next month. best to the boss
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Shawn

"The small winches are not self-tailing, so it made their use a bit cumbersome (takes two hands)."

Winchers are highly recommended.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|3071|899943&id=899493

I have them on Lewmar 6 winches and since installing them (3 seasons ago) I haven't used the cleats for the jib sheets once. Very easy to lock the line in place and just as easy to release it. Much easier than fighting with the cleat when you are getting hit with a puff.

Shawn

wes

Shawn - those look cool. Did you use the small/#1 size on your Lewmar 6's? The description says they fit on Lewmar 7 or 8 but presumably they worked for you. I have #6 winches too. Also - the photo looks like they fit around the upper flange of the winch - correct?

$50 is a lot for two rubber rings but I am intrigued; looking for ways to make it more practical to single-hand my 19.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Shawn

Wes,

Yes, I used the #1s. They actually have a little play around the top on the Lewmar #6s but they still work fine.

"$50 is a lot for two rubber rings but I am intrigued"

Just be really careful installing them or they turn into $100 rubber rings. It takes a lot of pulling/stretching to get them over the winch top and if you aren't careful while halfway on it is easy for them to shoot like a rubber band into the ocean. In theory anyway....... and now I have a spare. ;)

"looking for ways to make it more practical to single-hand my 19."

I single hand my 23 much of the time. These were a huge help.

Shawn