a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cam cleats for a '78 CP16

Started by Ted, October 18, 2012, 12:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

My '78 is missing a cam cleat. It's the one with the eye before the cleat.

Since I still have the other side's cleat intact, I would like to find one that matches. I could just buy new ones, but then I need new holes...

Does anybody know what this particular cleat is called (with the eyehole) so I can search online or can anybody just point me in the right direction?

I could switch them both out, I guess, but I would rather just find the same part if possible.

Here are some pics so it's clear what I am asking about:

(The missing cleat)

(The existing cleat)
"Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - The Water Rat

JTMeissner

Ted, part of the problem will be easier to solve than the other.  Cam cleats are somewhat universal; the spec sheet for a given set should tell you how far apart the fasteners are and you should be able to come close.  It looks like your old one is aluminum, for our size boat I believe composite is more common now.  Harken, Ronstan, Schaefer, etc. will all have similar ones.  You could call Hutchins and see if they have stock of the same kind, but they have probably gone to newer fittings.  The manufacturer name should be stamped on yours somewhere. 

UPDATE: I checked my copy of the parts list from Hutchins, it looks like the cam cleat is part number RA00C0033, C-CLEAT MED. GREY CAP $27.50 EA, and RA00C0035, C-CLEAT MED. ROPE GUIDE $9.00 EA (2010 price list).

The fairlead, or rope guide, will be harder to match.  Can't say I've seen one that has additional screws (and I haven't looked that close to the ones on my boat). Mostly I see ones that are extensions of a baseplate under the cam cleat.

If you went new, you will likely only have to fill in two holes for the fairlead and use the same holes for new cam cleats. The Ronstan Red cam cleat is 1-1/16 apart at the mounting holes for up to 5/16" line. Some examples of fairlead mounts from my old local store (RF5404 might work):

-Justin

Ted

Thanks! I am going to call Hutchins tomorrow and report back the results.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - The Water Rat

rwdsr

Ted,
Whats the hull number on your '78?
BobD
1978 AMF Sunfish, Sold, 1978 CP16 #592, "Sprite" - Catalina 22 "Joyce Marie"http://picasaweb.google.com/rwdsr53/Sailboats#

Ted