Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sunbrella vs Weather Max

Started by MacGyver, June 13, 2012, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Anyone have both types of fabric?
Weather max 80 looks like tent material........ are we wrong?

Id hate to have lee send us samples and we dont buy from her...... I hated to do that when I knew a customer wasnt going to buy from my graphics company, but you do anyway hoping......

Still juggling do it ourselves or not. The Sunbrella looks tougher.....

Thoughts please! :D

Thanks

Mac (and the Admiral GiGi)
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Lafayette Bruce

I had a Sunbrella boom tent that I used to cover my brightwork and it did not meet my expectations.  Just lasted about 4 years and was toast.  I have several items made of Weathermax and I am super pleased.  I got all my Weathermax items from Lee Sail covers and I was very pleased with them as well.  Willing to work with you and make whatever you wanted... just send her the plans.
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce

rdcvsmith

I love all my weathermax products from Lee Sails.
I can't honestly speak to duration for I'm only on year two.
Customer service is top notch though.
-Ray

brackish

My Sunbrella sail cover is seven years old, looks brand new, and has been in the weather year round since new.  I have no experience with weathermax.  I recently bought some 303 Fabric Guard to treat all the sunbrella.  I read that regular treatings with 303 will double the life of Sunbrella, so going to try it.

Salty19

I'm not sure which is best, but I'm pretty happy with Sunbrella. 

Might be wise to get a small sample of each to compare them first??

Jason--I say definitely go for it since you're handy and might start up a canvas business.   Sewing is not difficult, but it does take a little practice for projects to come out looking professionally. 

I'm curious if the boom tent was left up all the time, and if it was slapping in the wind.  4 years seems like a short life for Sunbrella.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

MacGyver

Thanks for the replies everyone

We plan to do it ourselves as there is a lot we want to do over time. We also want to build some sails for our boat and Sailrite seems to make that a easier project

The big gain also for me will be to learn how the sail material works overall, making me a better boat technician overall.
Understanding sailing has already made me a better technician as I have just started working on mast furling sail systems and such, not stuff we did before.

The sunbrella seems to be a better known product, and also carries a 10 year warranty. I am sure they have things you need to do like 303 and such, but still touts that warranty.

We Got some sunbrella for free, going to try it through the house sewing machine before making any rash decisions to buy the sailrite machine. When it comes to sails, we will need zig zag for sure.....

Jason
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Mokey7

QuoteThe big gain also for me will be to learn how the sail material works overall, making me a better boat technician overall.

I didn't offer this up before, but after reading this, I think I will.

In regards to the sewing machine, I would approach the owners where you work, to see if they would make the investment of the sewing machine for you. At worst, they made a bad (and still minimal) investment. At best, they would have a couple of new services to offer at their mairna. Just an idea.