Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

One guy-easy lift gin-pole for the 19

Started by mgoller, January 05, 2006, 12:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgoller

Hi 19'ers
I have posted some pictures (19 gallery) and a diagram for the gin-pole I made to raise the mast on the 19.  I searched around for what others did and came up with this as the simplest means possible.  I had to do something because I do it by myself.
I am sure someone can make improvements, let us know.
Good project for the winter.  Ask for help if you need any clarification.
Happy 2006!

crbakdesign

Marcus,

That's a great design and easy to understand!  I noticed from one of your earlier images that you have a fixed mount VHF radio aboard.  I've got one also and I'm trying to figure out how to route the antenna cable.    I was thinking of mounting mine on the spreader, but I'm not to keen about putting a 1/2" hole in the mast to allow for the connector.  I may just continue to mount it on the stern rail above the outboard.  Does your cable go through the mast?

I just finished my first project, a solid wooden boarding ladder to get in and out of the boat while on land.  I really hate the look of those Home Depot folding aluminum ladders. :)  Now on to the real fun - refurnishing the cabin.  I've taken all the dimensions and I'm about to layout the galley unit, shelves and backrests.

meredith

The gin pole looks like a great idea. I keep my boat in the water, and I've lowered and raised the mast exactly once by myself. However I think I learned something useful in the process that might contribute to this discussion.

Not having a gin pole, I attached a block to the bow pulpit, giving me a little better angle for the control line. I attached a fiddle block with cam cleat near the front of the bow pulpit, and I attached a single block to the end of the jib halyard. A line connecting the end of the jib halyard to the fiddle block gave me a 2x1 purchase for raising and lowering the mast. The cam cleat (only functional for raising the mast, not lowering it) allowed me to stop pulling and use both hands to control the mast. I felt a lot safer knowing I could stop raising the mast in the middle of the process and count on the cleat to hold the weight of the mast while I stopped it from swaying or climbed from the cockpit to the cabin top.

meredith

I've studied the pictures, and I don't understand how the gin pole is attached to the mast.

mgoller

Meredith,
You studied well!  The photos are of my first attempt.  Worked great until I had lowered the mast to the deck.  Not having the back of the gin pole flush with the back of the deck was bad!  I had 4" of 2 x 4 sticking out past the mast.  When that touched down to the cabin top it put a tremendous load on the mast foot plate - pop!  Out came the four screws holding it down, and a repair job.
I will take a photo of the working model and remove the faulty picture.  The diagram I posted is correct.  I replaced the 2 x 4 back of the gin pole with some sheet metal.  Works great.
I just sawed off the offending bits flush with the mast dimension and attached the sheet metal with four wood screws.

The advantage of the pole is that it transfers the weight and gives leverage where a line running to top of the mast doesn't do much near the critical 45 degree angle of raising or lowering.  But a line running to the bow with cam cleats is a definite improvement over hand only.  

The temporary side stays are definitely the answer to solving the side sway but as the angle changes so does the length.  I have seen all sorts of gizmos none of them simple.  Maybe a side stay that is long to allow for the angle change but simply there to prevent a complete side fall (which I have experienced, hence my effort to find a mast raising system)

spaul

Marcus, If memory serves me the side stays (I'll call them baby stays) on the Mac I had were about 1/2 way from the chainplates to the mast on each side. They were also rearward of the mast plate so that they were slightly loose when the mast was down but got tighter as the mast went up. I don't know how to do this easily by math but will attempt to measure them on someone's boat when I visit our marina in a day or two.
You're on the right track. The gin pole on the Mac system hooks to the mast step plate on the deck through a bolt and two holes that are separate from the mast pivot bolt. I believe clamping the pole around the base of the mast would work as well.
As you mentioned you must have the pole to raise the angle of the line. You simply cannot pull with the line parallell to the mast, the mechanical advantage is a wonderful thing.
I'm still penciling an idea to do this on my cp27. Would have to modify the base of the mast and the step plate but what the heck, sailing is the goal.
Steve Paul

spaul

Marcus, meant to suggest you don't need a 1/2" hole in your mast to mount your antenna there. My antenna is on a small bracket along with the Windex. I drilled a small hole about 1/4" to allow for the cable and soldered the connector after passing the cable through. Range with the antenna on top is significantly increased over the stern rail hight.
Regards
Steve