News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cap_Nemo Attachment of topping lift to mast?

Started by bfelton, June 02, 2012, 10:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bfelton

Cap Nemo,
      What fitting on the mast did you use for your topping lift?  And does it attach near the top of your mast?

Thank you,

Bert Felton

capt_nemo

Bert,

With regard to my topping lift. Using 3/16" Dacron line I simply tied the line to the uppermost mast bail using a Bowline. Then I led the line down to the base of the mast, through a small turning block, and back to the rear edge of the cabin top where all the rest of my "strings" are cleated, clutched, or cammed. Works quite well to keep the swinging boom above the gallows until the mainsail is hoisted, and also to control the boom when reefing. Hope this helps. Someday I might get around to installing a "Boomkicker" to take the place of the topping lift and help support the boom and stowed mainsail when I "fly" my homemade Nylon Mainsail, which, by the way, works quite well in almost no wind at all.

capt_nemo

capt_nemo

Bert,

I must correct the previous post. That epoxy I was using today must have messed up my brain. The topping lift, still led aft to the cockpit, goes through a small block attached to the upper bail on the mast and then down to a quick disconnect on the end of the boom. The quick disconnect makes it easier to stow, clipped to base of the mast, when dropping the mast and securing the rig for trailering. Sorry for the confusion - it has been a long day!

capt_nemo

bfelton

Cap_Nemo,
Thanks for posting the correction.  I read the original last night and was going to email you about it this morning.

Fair winds,

Bert Felton