Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Transom questions

Started by Daydreaming, July 08, 2012, 08:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daydreaming

Hello all,
I just removed my rudder mount and was surprised not to find some kind of backing plate for it.  Should I put one on when I reinstall or leave it alone?  There did'nt appear to be any bedding material either.  What do you think?  Have any of you drilled oversized holes and filled them with epoxy?  Opinions?  Thanks in advance.

Fair Winds
Daydreaming
1982 Compac 19 #67   

wes

The transom has plywood reinforcement glassed into the area where the rudder is attached. It is very strong. If the four bolt holes are in good shape, you can just bed the bolts in 3M 5200 or 4200 or your favorite other bedding compound and remount the rudder, using SS fender washers and nylock nuts on the inside. Crawling back there with your vice-grips is tons of fun on a hot day. I made my 17 year old son do it and he still hasn't forgiven me.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Daydreaming

Thank you so much Wes.  These are such well built boats.  Just wanted to make sure there had'nt been changes/improvements since 1982 that I could incorporate.  Again thank you. 

skip1930

I agree with Wes, leave it alone. Put the 4~1/4"-20 ss bolts back in with a little bit of 3-M 5200 slow set and call it quits. Why would you enlarge any holes in order to put more sealing compound in and around the bolts?

It hangs through the fiberglass 20 oz, epoxy impregnated cloth and re-enforcing plywood that is also glassed in.

'I a fear, Son', that any additional backing plate inside the transom would prompt the over-tighting of these bolts and induce stress on the glass...'glass don't bend' and will eventually show those spider cracks. Just snug her up and let the sealing compound do it's job. Factory perfect.

skip.