a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mooring in Delaware River

Started by MKBLK, June 15, 2012, 12:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKBLK

Although I prefer to trailer my CP16 all over the place, I thought it would be nice to simply leave it in the water near to home at times. Slips and moorings are very expensive around here, heck, just the ramp fee I purchased is $75.00. Does anyone know the rules of mooring in the Delaware River between NJ and PA? The local marinas have mooring... at $800/season. I've seen people with waterfront property moor their boats just off-shore. Who owns the river? Can one simply plop down a mooring bouy (well clear of the channel, of course) and hook-up? Just wondering!

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

skip1930

We have two public mooring fields in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. The skipper can rent a numbered can by the day, week, month or season. I think the season is $175.00 and you supply the pick-up buoy.

About 75 cans in each field and over the years the city pays to 'plant' them and take them out for the Ice Age.
I have never seen more than a dozen boats moored in either field. Most of the moored boats are using the cans that the local marinas control a half mile away.

My buddy sunk a semi diesel engine block and chain to hook his 27 foot sail boat to just off his beach property in about 5 foot of water. Nobody said a thing about that and it's been at least ten years. We attach a properly identified blue and white can to. The Coast Guard only wants to see a 360 degree white masthead lamp during sun down to sun up. If your in a mooring field you won't need a night light.

Here is his house after it burned down a two years ago Memorial Day. Less than a mile away on Bay Shore Drive Elsworth Peterson of Peterson Boat Builders built this mansion for his daughter...on three lots. Taxes are $83,000 a year for just her house. Plus he has two other homes. One in Hawaii. One in Sturgeon Bay.

skip.

MKBLK

Sorry about your buddy's home. Looks like it was very nice before the disaster. I don't have a diesel block, but would a couple of Volvo transmissions work? Just kidding - Bob23 might read this. If I were loaded, I could buy some nice waterfront property here in Bucks County on the river between Bristol and Edgely across from Burlington Island. Only about half a mil for a cottage on the river! And huge taxes (but not as bad as in NJ). Still wondering though... who owns the river? Can one simply drop a mooring anchor, say 100' off shore and hook-up? The river is about a 1/4 mile wide in this area. I never noticed any mast lights on boats moored adjacent to the marinas. I assume that marinas are specially designated anchorages.

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

Bob23

Marty:
   You might have to check with the town that you plan to moor in. Maybe the zoning office or tax office.
   I guess I'm quite spoiled with my free mooring in Surf City, NJ. In such an over regulated state such as mine, it's rare to find something someone hasn't figured out a way to charge for. We all love it here:

bob23