a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

MAGIC TILT AXLE BROKE

Started by MKBLK, May 14, 2012, 11:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKBLK

After 31 years, the axle quit on my way back from a nice day on the bay. Luckily, I was only 1 mile from home after a 115 mile round-trip! Should I just put a new axle in (about $70.00) or replace the entire suspension (about $200.00). There's an awful lot of rust down there! If I replace everything - axle, hubs, springs, etc., how hard is it? And, the assembly I found at Northern has a solid round axle as opposed to the u-shaped one on the trailer. Comments and suggestions definitely appreciated. Can't have Pegasus sitting on the hard too long you know!

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

Billy

I rebuilt my trailer (Tires, hubs, axle, springs, winch, jack, lights, and bunks (everything but the frame)) for about $450. I did it myself. And I can't tell you how much stress has been removed while I tow her down the interstate at 60+mph. One of the leaf springs broke and the frame dropped down and was sitting on the axle. It wasn't too big of a project at all. The hardest part was getting some of the old rusted bolts off. Once everything was removed it was very easy and fast putting her back together.

Money well spent on piece of mind. If the axle broke, it is only a matter of time before the springs go. And I'm sure the hubs have seen better days too.

I would replace as much as you can, for safety sake.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

MKBLK

Billy - Good advice! I'm definitely leaning toward replacing the entire assembly. You're right about the rust. Everything is rusted down there. I'll probably have to cut everything out. If I try to just replace the axle, I'm sure I'll run into trouble with the hubs, et al.

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

Bob23

Maybe you could buy trailer parts from SAAB and put the wheels on top!!!!!!!!!! Hahahaha
bob23
Sometimes it's cheaper buy entire assemblies. I buy my trailer parts from Eastern in Delaware.

skip1930

Exactly what broke and where. At the U-Bolts to axle tube?
Or just the spindle rusted off the end of the axle?
Or what???
You can buy the square tube with the spindles welded in [ $70 ] and a set of U-bolts, would that fix the problem?
This allows the transfer of all the pieces. Probably nothing wrong with the springs or shackles. I have mine painted with grease and I Vaseline the rubber tires every season. No rubber checking that way. All non salt water.

skip.

MKBLK

Bob23 - Don't you know that S**B is a 4 letter word!

Skip - The "U" axle broke about 2" from the hub. Everything down below is in sad shape, so I'm pretty sure that the smart move is to replace it all. I just know I'll run into all kinds of grief if I try and replace just the axle... besides, it's all covered by my boat insurance... less the hundred bucks deductible, of course.

Marty K.

CaptRon28

Quote from: MKBLK on May 15, 2012, 08:32:12 AM
... besides, it's all covered by my boat insurance... less the hundred bucks deductible, of course.

Are you sure about that? It would probably be classified as wear and tear. Maybe tell them it hit something on the road - like a a bad pot hole, sewer cover, etc..
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

MKBLK

CaptRon - Well, that is what actually happened. The lousy road in Morrisville, PA is very rough and definitely was the straw that... and, the check's in the mail... for real!

Marty K.

Update: The axle is fixed! An old friend, who can weld anything, slapped a pair of 1/4" angle irons on that broken axle and made it 10x better than new. Problem solved. The steel had rusted so badly that it was only about a 1/16" thick where it gave way (close to the spring). The other end of the axle is fine, I would think it's about 10 gauge. Still plan to put all new in, but at least I can go sailing this weekend!

MKBLK

I posted the following in the CP16 area, but thought it would be a good idea to repeat it here:

I was a bit luckier than you in that I was only about a mile from home (after a round-trip of over 100 miles) when it buckled. In your case and mine, the trailer axle in question is about 30 years old. I noticed that although the Magic Tilt frame is galvanized, the axle assembly is not. I would suggest that all Magic Tilt trailer owners of vintage equipment check out this critical area. Mine failed adjacent to the spring assembly where it probably experiences the most stress. The steel was rusted down to almost nothing! Curiously, the opposite side was unaffected.

I've had mine welded and it is much stronger than new, however, I do plan to replace it with a new one. They are available from www.trailerpartsdepot.com for about $70.00. And it is galvanized. Replacement is very easy. Only 2 bolts hold the entire assembly on the trailer. Took me about 10 minutes! A little penetrating oil on those bolts prior to removal is a good idea.

Marty K.