a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

How do you store your anchor?

Started by cycle, May 06, 2012, 08:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cycle

Where do you folks keep your anchor? Had it down below last season and it's really annoying to retrieve and deploy.  Old version (1982) so no bowsprit.  I'd really like to have it handy - secured at the bow someplace if possible.  Things are getting crowded up there with  a new CDI FF2 & deck hardware.  Also a rode pipe adding to the confusion.  While I'm at it, what about the roller deck hardware routing?  I have it in place, but not convinced I have the best solution.

Jon
1987 CP19
Portland, ME

skip1930

On my CP-19 is a bow roller off of my bow sprit and I park the Danforth anchor here. I don't think I'd like it hung from the bow pulpit...too much sail up their for the anchor and flutes to be snagged on. I also carry a smaller lunch Danforth under the settee with chain and 80 foot of rode. Sometimes we just hang from the stern cleat.

Now check the CP-16 guys [Jason Swabbie Karma: +1/-0 [Good!][Tsk Tsk!] Offline Posts: 3]
for today's date and check out the anchor perch made from wood without a bow sprit...it's really clever.

Additionally I use a vinyl coated chain 'tween the anchor and rode so the chain stays put on deck. Holds the arc.
Check out the pics in my Photobucket [Link below on Page three of album 'Com Pac 19' 53 pictures] for securing the anchor to the bow. Pull the pin and the anchor is ready for use. Come to a stop. Start to drift or motor down wind and play out from the rope pipe the 150 foot of 3 strand nylon rode stored in the chain [rode] locker.

Ready to go pull her up wind, amassing the rode on the fore deck till a more convenient time to fish the rode back down into the rope pipe and chain locker. Three strand nylon will dry just fine down there.

skip.

cycle

When I look at your Photobuck pic's I'm reminded of just how much work remains for me to do on my own 19.   Not sure mine will ever look as good.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas - that 16 perch is pretty nifty too.  And I'll be getting some vinyl chain too.
1987 CP19
Portland, ME

Billy

What type of Anchor do you have? Because that will make a difference.
I have an '83 hull number 35 (no sprit) and I hang my Fortress (Danforth) anchor from the bow pulpit. It works great and I have not had a snag on my sail yet (3 years). I also have a symmetrical spinnaker that flies out in front and that has not been caught by a fluke yet.

I got the mount from west marine for about $40-$50. Worth every penny.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_38743_-1?cid=chanintel_google&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=38743

Here you can see the previous owners set up (I did not like this one at all, bounced around too much and swayed making it harder to get the anchor in and out. Plus the bungee's look sloppy. The windline mount above is solid and much more simple to use.

I also have a Bruce (claw) anchor that I keep in the back lazzerette, as a stern and 2nd anchor. One of these years I'll upgrade to the bowsprit and move the Bruce anchor to the front on a roller and then mount the fortress on the rear stern rail.

But for now, I think this setup works great.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

NateD

Previous owner installed some brackets on the deck of my 16 to hold the anchor, which I liked better than having it hanging from the pulpit.

cycle

Thanks guys - nice range of ideas. I'm off to WM to buy the (danforth) hanger!
1987 CP19
Portland, ME

jeffcom16

while we are on the subject, i got 2 anchors with my boat and am not sure which is the recommended one to use. does anyone know of the specs for the required anchor
help appreciated

Salty19

Jeff, like most things..it depends.  It depends on the soil you're anchoring in (mud, sand, rocks, etc), the type of anchor and wave conditions.

Some anchors weighing 4 lbs have the same holding power as others weighing 10lbs, but because each anchor is designed for different bottom conditions, you can't just take any 'ol anchor and expect it to hold in any condition. Books have been written on the subject, so way more to tell than what we can put here.

The danforth anchor you see hold well in sandy and muddy conditions, but they don't hold in rocks (tried that, doesn't work!).  4lb Danforth is OK for the CP16

So what kind of anchor do you have and what are the conditions you'll be anchoring in?
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603