a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tongue extension

Started by MacGyver, May 14, 2012, 02:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

When launching the boat for the first time, And after taking note of other peoples trailers it looked as if we had a longer tongue, and would be quite alright launching.
I do have taller tires on the trailer, but My thought is that they are easier to get if I have a flat or whatever.
They arent even all that much taller overall.
At any rate I launched the boat and had to bury the rear axle, (3/4 of rear tires are under.)
Front tires were at the water edge.
Boat came off finally.
Ramp is a 12 percent grade (according to my boss, and I am pretty sure he knows that for sure)

What do you guys do for launching?

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Bob23

I cheat and use the marinas travel lift. Before they did an extensive bulkhead project, it would cost me a case of beer. Now it's cold cash. Still a bargain and much cheaper than wheel bearings. Yep, I'm a salt water guy. My trailer has not seen, nor will ever see, it's wheels in the water- except for rain.
bob23

Shawn

Mac,

Did you check your trailer to see if it has an extension built into it? My 23/3s trailer does and it helps but I'm going to mod it to make it longer yet.

Shawn

Shawn

Bob,

"Before they did an extensive bulkhead project, it would cost me a case of beer. Now it's cold cash. Still a bargain and much cheaper than wheel bearings."

You are lucky! I used the travel lift to pull the boat last season and it was about $270.

Shawn

Bob23

The marina where I launch/retrieve is mostly a powerboat marina. I think when they see my 23 sitting on her trailer, they are mezmorized by such a beatiful boat that they loose all reason. bob23
The owners are great guys, blue collar- Miller High Life kind of guys.
Bob23

brackish

Quote from: Bob23 on May 14, 2012, 07:21:42 PM
I cheat and use the marinas travel lift. Before they did an extensive bulkhead project, it would cost me a case of beer. Now it's cold cash. Still a bargain and much cheaper than wheel bearings. Yep, I'm a salt water guy. My trailer has not seen, nor will ever see, it's wheels in the water- except for rain.
bob23

Ironic, yesterday was "trailer day".  pulled the wheels, hubs, cleaned and repacked the bearings, sanded the rust out of the brake drums and checked the adjustment, greased those spots in the brakes that need it, soaked the tires in protecterant, painted every rust spot with cold galv paint, checked all the lights, ready to go, when I decide where to go. :)  Took five hours but will give me piece of mind on the road.

Back on topic, I have a 30" telescoping extension that is stock on the performance trailers that I have never had to use.  Couple of ramps have been marginal but have managed to launch/retrieve without submerging the truck.:)

MacGyver

Working at the Marina I would love to use a lift for ummm........ free.... but I cant... :(   
I understand, liabilities and such, hell I have modified the lifts and operate them daily, but I wont pay to have it lifted just yet, I am still hemorraging money from setting the boat up, and It prolly isnt all that bad, but I am not used to owning a boat :)  Normally I just fix em :)

I can build my own extension, but Just wonder why in the hell I had to bury the truck in the water for launch, that seems crazy...... I have been told I need to build one the length of the distance from the front tire to the hitch on my truck....... that is 14 feet, then add another 3 feet to attach to the trailer tongue......17 feet....... definetly not going to fit in the bed of my truck, where I hoped to put it instead of on the trailer. 

I am a little puzzled as to what to do here..... maybe I will have my wife take pictures as I bury the truck again to the point of the water touching front tires, trailer unloaded, and see from that where the trailer actually is, then I can use a strap to let the trailer out from my truck into the water at the same position, and measure that distance.

Lots of work, but at least then I am not building a obsessively long trailer extension.
One more check of the rear diff and I will be in steel building mode so maybe in a week or so I can pull the boat out and do a bottom paint job :)   (If the wife lets me do that....... she really is amped about sailing, and frankly so am I.)
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

Billy

What size tires you got? I just barely have to get my rear tires wet.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

MacGyver

My current tire size is 175/80 D13
These replace the original 20 by 8 whatever size was on there after one of them blew out 3 miles from where i picked the boat upfrom.
Walmart was only place open at the time and had them on the rims. So i bought what they had. 2 of em.
These new tires on center raise the trailer 2.5 inches higher than originals.
i have been unable to find the original size tires anywhere.......and to me i hate that. I should be able to find them in the case of a blow out. This new size i can get at almost any walmart.

The measurement from my bow eye to the center of the coupler to my ball hitch is 6 and a half feet.

What is yours?
-Alaine Gerbault.

Billy

It's about 4-1/2 feet from the bow to the hitch.

A 12 percent slope is about a 1:9. So that extra 2.5" is causing you to need to back up about two and a half feet further.

MacGyver

@Billy
I appreciate that comment, Made me think a bit more and caused me to call a old friend who runs a trailer company to get it all cleared up.
He said he normally builds a tongue extension 10 feet long. He just feels comfortable with that.
Then we got into the whole tire thing, and I found out the original tires are not rated properly for the trailer, so these new tires I have on there are also under rated. At 1360 lbs a piece, that makes 2720 total. Now he said it is unlikely that the boat and trailer weigh that, but He says the tires should be at or over the GVWR of the trailer, that is 2950.

He suggested I buy the 20.5 X 8.0 by 10 tires that are 10 ply, with a weight limit of 1550 each. Making my total 3100.
After that, the trailer would be ready to handle the max load (being safe overall) then I could always add a small extension which he thinks is more in the range of 10 feet If I even needed it.

After I told him about your comment on here, he also asked about my hitch position, currently it is low, so the boat leaned towards my truck. This he said probably also adds to the launch issue, since the rear bunks are then too high to allow it to float off easy.

Guess I will start with the proper size tires (sad that I have these 2 other tires, but oh well, just will try to sell them.....) and raise my hitch some to allow for a easier launch. He told me to also replace the V rollers and he thinks it will launch easier and maybe only get my rear tires a little wet.

Price on the tires should be tomorrow, So we will see how that goes.

Thanks!

-Alaine Gerbault.

Billy

Can u just turn your hitch upside down? Obviously you would have to reverse the ball as well. That should get you about 2" higher as well.

MacGyver

I can, but I have a cushion setup from when I pulled a 8 by 12 enclosed trailer. What I might do is use the standard drawbar from when I bought the hitch initially (it came with it) and use that to launch, but keep the other drawbar with the cushion shock absorbing capability the way it is.

With those 2 things changed I think I have a very good possibility to not have to make a extension.
That would be fantastic
-Alaine Gerbault.