a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Gel coat

Started by Tim22, May 10, 2012, 04:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim22

My Suncat is currently at the boatyard having the bottom barrier coated and anti fouled. This is purely preventative as the bottom is in good shape. I was surprised that the person doing the work remarked that the gel coat was very thin and wonder if others on this board have any experience or comments on this.

Thanks Tim

capt_nemo

Tim22,

My NEW 2010 green hulled Sun Cat easily developed a few scratches despite my very careful handling of her. On close inspection I too discovered, much to my dismay, that the green colored gel coat appeared quite thin. This, of course, explains why she is so prone to develop NOTICEABLE scratches so easily. I am somewhat disappointed in the fact that I have to be so exceptionally careful not to rub the hull against any object. Heck, only two nights at a marina and you can tell where the damn inflated fenders rubbed against the hull! Had my wife make very soft cloth covers for the fenders for the next dockside tie-up, if any.

Misery loves company!

capt_nemo

Tom Ray

Mine has lots of scratches, but I ignore them pretty successfully. Most are from the previous owner. ;)

Scott's gelcoat did something weird that none of us have seen before: it discolored. He left it in fresh water and it looks like the water somehow rinsed some of the color out of the gelcoat! Never saw anything like that before.

skip1930

When the hull is molded the first layer is a spray of 'Gel Coat'. As a spray it's maybe 4 to 8 mils thick when cured and dry. Maybe 10 mils wet.
After that maybe, but I doubt it, is a solid black or white spray to 'fill in' any daylight from the gel coat. This usually is reserved for a metal flake deal. Not Com Pacs.
Now the 20 ounce woven fiberglass cloth that is impregnated with resigns. Hand rolled into and on to the molded gel coat.
Extra layers where needed, then when finishing, since day light shines clean through the glass, a coat of gray paint. You can still see daylight in the bilge.

skip.