a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

new sails

Started by kickingbug1, October 25, 2009, 10:12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

i am thinking about buying new sails for my cp16. has anyone purchased new recently who can give me some advice. recommend a sailmaker and a price?
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Craig Weis

I can't help with the price. It costs what it costs. But this is a class act here...And they deliver quick. Celeste who sews the sail together is a personal friend. Charley is too.

www.DorsalSailsandCanvas.com | Dorsal LLC, 61 Michigan Street, Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235 |
Phone: 920-743-4126 | Fax: 920-743-4139 | E-mail: Charlie@dorsalsailsandcanvas.com

www.dorsalsailsandcanvas.com/stanley.htm This is Tiger Woods' Boat, Stanley III. Named for Tiger's dad.
skip helped build this one.

Charley Kline will do you right! All the sail info is in his shop, on his lap top. I would not deviate [add or subtract] from the original Johnson Sails sold with your boat.

Building on a long history of serving the Great Lakes boating community, DORSAL, LLC (aka Door Sail) is your full service sail loft & canvas shop, capable of computer assisted Sail design & cutting, as well as custom Biminis, Dodgers, Full Enclosures, Sail & Boat Covers of all sort and even Upholstery work for the cockpit and down below.

A panoramic view of our 5,000 square foot  loft space in the heart of Great Lakes boating history showing the computer controlled cutting machine and the assembly floor. Note the sewing machine sunk to floor level to facilitate handling large sails and canvas projects.

WHO  |  WHAT  |  WHERE  |  WHEN  |  WHY | LINKS | HOME

DORSAL, LLC
61 Michigan St., Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235
Phone: 920-743-4126   Fax: 920-743-4139
E-mail: Charlie@dorsalsailsandcanvas.com
www.DorsalSailsandCanvas.com

Salty19

Doug and I bought from FX Sails.

This is the only place I've bought from so I have nothing to compare quality.

Mid 400's for the main. That is inshore cross cut, partial battons, loose footed, compac insignia, bolt rope,tell tales on surface and leech, bag
High 200's for 155% genoa with roller furling foam and bag. That is grommet only for the handmade PVC furler that's so popular on the 16.

After one season the sails are still like new.

Delivery time was poor-about 4 months as they forgot my order and I assumed until month 3 it was just due to the busy season.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

JustStartin

Just went through the same ordeal of finding a sailmaker.  In the end, I decided to go with Doyle (here in Detroit).  They were very professional in quoting me a new main, genoa, and CDI FF2 roller furler.  Gave me very nice discounts.  I was very disheartened with the lack of response and professionalism from North Sails (Detroit).  Had a quote from Rolley Tasker Sails in FL but they use lesser quality dacron.

Doyle is making me a fully battened (reinforced) main using the Challenge High Modulus cloth, loose foot, shape stripes, leech line, 1 reef point (even though we have roller reefing), mast slides, telltales, sail #'s, ComPac logo, and sail bag for a little over $500.  The genoa is 150% and includes the UV sunshield, leech and foot lines, telltales, shape stripes, and sail bag for a little over $500.  I'm getting the CDI FF2 furling unit for about $400.

I won't get my new sails until late January but I'm ok with that since I can't sail in the winter up here (don't ask how I like the weather in MI!!!!).

Hope this helps!

jimdoesmo

Quote from: JustStartin on November 12, 2009, 07:56:15 AM
Just went through the same ordeal of finding a sailmaker.  In the end, I decided to go with Doyle (here in Detroit).  They were very professional in quoting me a new main, genoa, and CDI FF2 roller furler.  Gave me very nice discounts.  I was very disheartened with the lack of response and professionalism from North Sails (Detroit).  Had a quote from Rolley Tasker Sails in FL but they use lesser quality dacron.

Doyle is making me a fully battened (reinforced) main using the Challenge High Modulus cloth, loose foot, shape stripes, leech line, 1 reef point (even though we have roller reefing), mast slides, telltales, sail #'s, ComPac logo, and sail bag for a little over $500.  The genoa is 150% and includes the UV sunshield, leech and foot lines, telltales, shape stripes, and sail bag for a little over $500.  I'm getting the CDI FF2 furling unit for about $400.

I won't get my new sails until late January but I'm ok with that since I can't sail in the winter up here (don't ask how I like the weather in MI!!!!).

Hope this helps!