a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Need to vent - $3000 for dockage?

Started by noonmark, April 18, 2012, 12:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redfishnc

No mercy from me.  Wrightsville Beach area close to inlet, 4300 BUT you get a month free when I pay all upfront.  30 ft slip..

mikew

Some marinas offer dockage by the month or week. This way you could mix it up with trailersailing and also take a slip at the marina
during your summer vacation.

Mike

gfspencer

I'm on a big lake in North Carolina.  Twenty years ago my finger slip was about $900/year.  I'm paying $1.500/year now.  20 years ago slips were hard to come by.  Today the marina has empty slips.  Maybe people got tired of the rental fees going up.

MacGyver

I just want to add that it depends on what all they offer.
We walk the docks minimum once a day, and If we notice any slight changes, we will normally go aboard, or we will watch it for any changes.
We also retie boats, etc. reseat fenders, etc.
Our fees havent changed in 4 years I think, economy........ We do our best to help keep people around (us guys do anyway) and It is scary to see the empty slips.

Our fee on a 25 foot Catalina was almost 2500 for a full year, and at Carlyle, sometimes you can sail the entire year.
We have a clubhouse with stove, showers, bathrooms, and keep the facilities clean.

I have heard of places, where none of the above is available, and no dock protection.

One boater had taken his boat to another marina on the lake due to high fees at ours. one year later he came back, said it was worth the extra as his boat line broke in a storm and 2 weeks later his friend found it rubbing another boat, the damage to the other boat and to his was well over the cost difference. So for him it is like insurance.

We just had one start to sink this last winter, of course we are employed all through the winter and walked up on it. Still had water line showing, but knew something wasnt right.
Turns out it was a botched owner winterization job, We got the leak stopped, and pulled the boat right away. Owner was extremely happy that we had even pumped the water out, saving the woodwork, and found out his problem all before the office opened at 8 am. (we get there at 7am.)

At any rate, just make sure you look at the whole picture. Those fees arent just going into a guys pocket, we get a lot of inspections, charged a lot of government fees, EPA, OSHA, etc. and as the years go on, they nail us more and more.

Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

skip1930

As we all know, the more money we print the less value each dollar has. So far a little more than $4 trillion of them printed. I'm not better off now than I was $4 trillion dollars ago.

--> " I'm on a big lake in North Carolina.  Twenty years ago my finger slip was about $900/year.  I'm paying $1.500/year now.  20 years ago slips were hard to come by.  Today the marina has empty slips.  Maybe people got tired of the rental fees going up. " <--

Slips are empty because Washington recently has extrapolated the old dollars out of your hands and replaced them with 'light weight' dollars and that makes boating too expensive, too regulated, too fee heavy, more fined, more insured and less fun.

So I'm wondering if this has anything to do with empty slips and slips rising in rental fees to cover having less rental reciepts. Or if you will, 'MO MONEY FOR YOU TO PLAY?'

This ain't rocket science. lol skipster.

gfspencer

Jason, I hadn't considered service.  My marina does seem to take care of the boats and the slips.  And renting a slip is a whole lot cheaper than having a house on the lake.  ;)

HideAway

Gulfport  Fl city marina is $236 per month for a 25 foot slip for a non resident - with water, electric - thats why we are on a trailer stored with the mast up for $100 with water  and electric.   It is nice not worrying about storm tides and such but we used the boat more when it was in the water. 
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/