a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Beached 19

Started by crbakdesign, September 13, 2005, 08:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crbakdesign

Not having any wind last weekend, I anchored and waded out to take a few shots of my 19.  I've added a Bimini and porthole trim, (needed a little eyeshadow) and a horn to keep off the skeedos. The horn is a replica of the old model T horn and seems to fit the traditional lines of the Compac.

Pics can been seen at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/crbakdesign/album?.dir=/c349&.src=ph&.tok=phG9VnDBp8w8bLUz

capnjohn

I'm pretty sure that is the first time I've seen a horn on a Compac.  :D  Nice work.  I wish I could sqeeze a bimini on my 16'.  I could have used it this weekend.

crbakdesign

Today I lowered the bimini and sailed single handed in the strongest winds I've ever had the good fortune to ride.  The gusts were spinoffs from Rita, and although I sailed with both jib and main, I had to spill the wind out of the jib occasionally. I would never suggest or try to ride out a hurricane, but the forcasters were saying that we would be getting 20 mph winds at the most.  And north Georgia wasn't even on those fancy TV maps.   :roll:    There was a 37 footer out there with a genoa furl headsail that went out like it was a light breeze and spun out in the main channel.  I noticed her later dancing along with just a mainsail and a hanky for a jib. There were two guys aboard and seemed to have it under control.  If these were 20 mph gusts I'll eat my bimini!  :)

My GPS which I never totally trust was showing 5.3-5.7 knots with water splashing over the bow, while I was spilling wind.  The CP has a mainsail roller reef system, but I never felt I needed to shorten my main, all the force was on the jib.  I am seriously considering adding a jib furler, especially for sailing single handed in a tough blow. Today I would have been nervous with anything less than the forestay, inner and outer shrouds and backstay and the fine workmanship of a strong com-pac hull.

Clemens, CP-19 "Steadfast"