a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Suncat popularity.

Started by steve brown, March 12, 2012, 10:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve brown

While speaking withe Com-pac rep at the Syracuse, NY Boat Show this winter, I asked him what is the largest production boat at Hutchins; he replied that the Suncat was.

Billy

Largest? The 35 is the largest. Most popular? I think they are putting a lot of their resources towards the new pilot house 23. I was at the today and there was also a 27 under construction. I did see a sun cat that looked brand new though.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

skip1930

The question was, I think, "What is the best selling Com-Pac Boat." Answer is Sun Cat.
The question may have been mis phrased, or mis typed, "..what is the largest [selling] production boat at Hutchins?"

Yes the 35 footer is the largest but least in quantity sold.

skip.

brackish

Well they couldn't give em away until the Suncat Nationals were established.  Now everyone wants one.:)

HideAway

The Sun Cat has been around awhile  and they have a loyal following - A friend of mine divorced her husband after he sold her Suncat and bought a fishing boat.  Reasonable I say
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

capt_nemo

As a happy Sun Cat owner (full cabin) I'm not surprised that it is the most popular model.  All three models, open cockpit, small cuddy cabin, and full cabin, sporting several other very positive features, make it a great trailer sailer with nearly unlimited possibilities for "messing about in boats"!

capt_nemo

capras801

capt-nemo               Is the strip at the waterline vinyl or was it painted on?

capt_nemo

capras801,

It is tape.

capt_nemo

Tom Ray

They sold a whole lot of 16's back in the day and have not been selling Sun Cats all that long, so I would guess that in terms of most hulls sold, it is the 16. In terms of what is likely to sell today, no question it is the Sun Cat. Their other boats sell, but not like Sun Cats.

jamato323

True trailerbility, enough space to camp, salty looks, sea kindly. No wonder their popular.
Paul Scribner
Between Com-pacs
Cape Haze Florida
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
William Arthur Ward
All sold: ComPac16"Bell", ComPacSuncat "Gatito", ComPacSuncat "Sanura", ComPac25 "Aloha Kai", ComPac19 "Lady in Red"